Thursday, July 31, 2008

Pop Apocalypse Mix #11 - Best of Fugazi

When I was 15 years old, I was completely obsessed with Minor Threat. I was straight edge at the time, so therefore Ian MacKaye was my god (of sorts) and Complete Discography was my bible. At some point during that time, my love of Minor Threat led me to discovering Fugazi. As soon as I bought my first Fugazi album (Repeater), I almost immediately outgrew Minor Threat. They were just so angry and Fugazi was much more complex and interesting to my teenage ears. All it took was several listens of Repeater for me to realize that I had just found my new favorite band. Soon after that, I quickly bought the rest of Fugazi's discography and silently cursed them for going on hiatus right after I started listening to them. Fast forward seven years later, and while other bands have come and gone from my iPod, Fugazi has always remained a constant in my life. Whether I feel like being a teenager again and listening to their older punk songs or admiring the beautiful guitar work on The Argument, I know Fugazi will always have something to offer me, no matter how old I get. For Mix #11, I'm presenting you with my personal Fugazi "Best Of" album. There's three songs from each of their major albums, so I think it provides a nice cross-sampling of their impressive discography. If you disagree, I'm sorry, feel free to make your own mix then. If you've never really listened to them before, think of this mix as a personalized (and chronological) introduction to the band. Either way, please enjoy!

TRACKLISTING:
1. Waiting Room
2. Give Me The Cure
3. Suggestion
4. Repeater
5. Brendan #1
6. Merchandise
7. Reclamation
8. Long Division
9. KYEO
10. Smallpox Champion
11. Public Witness Program
12. Last Chance For A Slow Dance
13. Do You Like Me
14. Bed For The Scraping
15. Forensic Scene
16. Arpeggiator
17. No Surprise
18. Foreman's Dog
19. Epic Problem
20. Life and Limb
21. Nightshop

DOWNLOAD: Pop Apocalypse Mix #11 - Best of Fugazi

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Fugazi is amazing. Also, probably my favorite band. I've been a fan for about 15 years. It's funny how many "favorite" bands I've had in those years, but I always seem to come back to Fugazi. Making a Fugazi mix is hard, but yours is pretty damn good. KYEO and Smallpox Champion have always been my favorites, and I was glad to see them on your mix.

Anonymous said...

"Furniture" EP + 2 [dis129cd]

important.

Anna Apocalypse said...

It it important, you're right, but I was just choosing from their full length albums.

Anonymous said...

Nice!
First thought of Fugazi always=Waiting Room. Can't stop loving it...

Nick said...

Damn near flawless. Only one I would have added is "Back To Base," because I absolutely love that guitar riff.

Anonymous said...

Nice, I've seen the Live twice. Incredible.

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for this!

polk said...

fugazi rules. still listen to my careworn cassette copies of 'in on the kill taker', 'steady diet of nothing' and others, while i look back at two car seats behind me...

art vandalay said...

Okay I'm pretty sure we need to hook up and have a love child. I have been a Fugazi fan since 8th grade. I'm now 30. I have seen and meet them twice. Great group of guys. Each album has it's own sound. Sure you left off the Instrument soundtrack, but I agree. So when would you like to have our Fugazi love child?

Bree Davies said...

Thank you for posting this. I somehow bypassed Fugazi/Minor Threat in high school (perhaps too immersed in Hole and the like for my own good) but have recently read Our Band Could be Your Life and American Hardcore and it has put all of this great stuff on my plate. There are some great YouTube videos floating around of Waiting Room and others. This mix is great! Thank you thank you!!

Anonymous said...

Just one question, how could you leave out the song 'styrofoam'? Its a gem and definitely deserves to be on any list called 'Best of Fugazi'.

Anonymous said...

should of put slo crostic. really anything from instrument soundtrack is golden.