Let's face it, Ra Ra Riot pretty much had it made from the start. They appeared at CMJ only six months after they formed, SPIN has given them a bunch of favorable reviews, they toured the UK twice on their own, all various triumphs that most struggling bands would kill for. But now comes the real test though, their debut album.
The Rhumb Line, due for release on August 19th, comes across like a Vampire Boris Yeltsin Weekend combo, easy on the ears with its pop hooks, wistful lyrics, and stirring violin and cello. They're not doing anything too complex here, but the music is enjoyable enough that the lack of originality is barely noticeable. Each songs flows seamlessly into the next and before you know it, you're pressing "play" to hear these ten tracks again. Most of the songs are charming pop gems ("Ghost Under Rocks," "Dying Is Fine"), but there's also the occasional ballad as well ("Winter '05"), or cover song (Kate Bush's "Suspended in Gaffa"). Overall, this Syracuse quintet hasn't completely found their niche just yet, but they seem to be doing just fine for the time being.
DOWNLOAD:
Link Removed Per Label Request [
Barsuk]
Recommended Tracks: "Ghost Under Rocks," "Dying Is Fine," "Can You Tell," "Too Too Too Fast."
21 comments:
I was too late does anyone still have the link?
thanks was looking forward to their new cd and here it is :-)
Saw these guys twice, both free shows, and I'm glad as I would never ever pay any sum of money to see such a terrible band.
At siren the lead singer clutched his heart as he sang. All of them wearing the most indie outfits they could buy. Actually if it weren't for their attire they would just be considered another horrid fall out boy-esque band.
I actually met the band when they played at my college last year, and have to say that they are all douchbags, the lead singer especially. They think they are amazing, I mean can't you tell? They wear cut off jean shorts and v neck undershirts! They must be good!!
Pretentious hipsters who think they are making good music, but instead fail as they are just covering every crappy band since simple plan.
Here's to all the pretentious hipster listeners who will pretend to like this band just because of hype.
To sum: Ra ra riot does not deserve the hype.
But apart from that, anna I love your blog!
Mikey,
That's kind of interesting that you say that, because I've heard from other people that went to school with them that they're all pretentious idiots. Oh well. I'm enjoying the album right now, but it's definitely not the most memorable thing in the world.
-Anna.
Mikey - I have met the band and they are really nice. Not sure what happened when you met them but that is a terrible shame and this record is awesome.
link????
meh... didn't blow my hair back. but i would much rather lzn to them instead of simple plan and fob.
and jean shorts rock.
not only do jean shorts rock, but i also saw ra ra riot at siren fest and the drummer was wearing mesh shorts. what is he, a jock or something?
mikey seems bitter. anna, i also love your blog, and i hope you spin this record when you're feeling thoughtful or mellow. im finding it to be very lovely for those times
haha, mikey sounds like a scorned lover.
does anyone still have the link?
fuck i missed this one does anyone have the link
I also saw these bastards at sirens, all i have to say is i would fuck the shit out of the cellist.
yeh, I'd give her one in the pinky and one in the stinky!
Hello again Anna. I wanted to invite you and your readers to my new social network that I have created. It's similar in appearance to myspace, but it intended to serve as a hangout for artists and music lovers. I have also included a forum category for music bloggers such as yourself to promote their blogs and share updates. If you are interested, here is the url:
http://digitalmeltd0wn.ning.com
I hope to see you there. Take care.
Zer0_II
oM really needs to leak.
http://www.zshare.net/download/15953465341f40c8/
can anyone give me the zip version of it?
Yeah, it's me again...
I was the guy who went to school with the band, and had classes with a handful of them. I must say, Wes (lead singer) is the biggest jerk ever. He has a severe attitude problem and refuses to acknowledge anyone who isn't wearing tight jeans and flannel cutoff shirts, or who doesn't have a three-day-old beard going on. I tried saying hi to him once in class and he acted like I wasn't there. One time I was partnered up with him for an assignment and he totally completed it himself without even speaking to me. Hell, maybe I'm just the jerk.
I saw them open for The Hold Steady (at the school), and aside from their good friends who cheered for them (I know they were the good friends because they were the only people who hung out with them outside of class - my friends and their friends intermingled, sort of), the crowd looked confused. So was I. I hadn't listened to their music, but as Mikey mentioned, Wes had these weird convulsions on stage as he sang, and the rest of the band stared at the ceiling as if they were "lost in the moment." Ugh.
The only nice person in the band was the original drummer, John (the one that died). He was a nice kid and a talented musician, and I'm not just saying that because he died. I hung out with him once or twice, and he seemed much more down to earth than the rest of the band.
But yeah, the guys/girls in this band are the rudest, egotistical musicians I've ever met, and all they really are is a poor man's Arcade Fire.
yo anna!
come across the new son ambulance by an chance?
Haven't seen it, will post when I find it!
Cuse!
Post a Comment