Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Calexico - Carried To Dust

Although I've always been a so-so fan of the Tucson sextet's music, some part of me felt that I owed it to Calexico to review their new album after living in the same city as them for four years of my life. At fifteen tracks long, my first concern was that Carried To Dust would carry me to sleep, but thankfully the songs aren't very long and the album clocks in at just over forty-five minutes. Sticking to the alt-country sound they've honed so well, Calexico incorporate trumpet and Spanish vocals ("Victor Jara's Hands") with swells of strings and guitar-picking ("The News About William") and traditional mariachi music ("Inspiracion") to create an album that sounds pretty much like, well, themselves. It's a bit slower and more introspective than 2006's Garden Ruin, but those differences aside, it's still the same Calexico. Those who thoroughly enjoy the group's Southwestern charm will really enjoy Carried To Dust, but for anyone that isn't that interested, this album will fail to change their mind. That's not to say that this is a bad album by any means, it's just very subdued and doesn't do much to grab the listener and surprise them or inspire them with any innovative concepts. If you're a fan, there are still a handful of decent tracks worth checking out though.

DOWNLOAD
: Calexico - Carried To Dust [Quarterstick]
Recommended Tracks: "Victor Jara's Hands," "Writer's Minor Holiday," "Fractured Air (Tornado Watch)".

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

you felt you owed it to them because you lived in tucson? the best thing about it is that the songs are short? why post it? i guess some people will be glad that you did, but shouldn't your music blog be about music that you like? instead of wasting your time on an album by a band you already know you don't like you could have spent it on a band you've never heard before. you never know. it could have "changed your life."

Anonymous said...

don't feel bad I love Calexico and this album bores me to pieces.

The Cure For Pain said...

Does anyone have Stages by Vedera??

tamsterg said...

In regards to the above mentioned comment.... what? Listen, if you go through this blog you will see quite a variety of music which allows the people passing through or addicted to the site widen their scope of music listening. If this post hadn't been put up, who knows whoelses' life may have not been changed- as you mentioned above. Although I am not a huge fan of Calexico myself, I appreciate an attempt to revisit the artist for myself where as I wouldn't have searched for them on my own. In short, this isn't your blog. Her time wasn't wasted by giving someone a second chance, but just perhaps by reading that comment.

In regards to Calexico, some good driving tracks and perhaps background music for a film or suaree (sp is off I know)
Keep posting!!

Anonymous said...

Is it me, or is that artwork kind of bizarre?

Lukas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this. I love calexico and cant wait to hear how this albums sounds.

Anonymous said...

You guys are artistic (visual) idiots...the fonts are in perfect keeping with the artwork, and for what it's worth, the artwork is incredible in it's style and honesty...keep to writing about sound. :)

ryanluikens said...

yeah, i dig calexico's consistent art direction too

polk said...

hey anna! nice blog. keep it up.

solid.

Anonymous said...

oh, god-some bitches are just downright stupid!

Anonymous said...

Hey Anna, can you upload the new Music Tapes? If you have it of course. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I suppose I should have been a little more specific (and I didn't say that the fonts clashed with the rest of the art direction).

The artwork somewhat reminds me of an H20 record.

Anonymous said...

Well, I think Anna's blog is great - but I completely disagree with her on this one. I used to think Calexico was kinda boring, but in my book this is one of the top albums of the year (no shit). It's like the most bitter-sweet alt.country album, but with a little "arribba, ay-ay-ay-ay". To me, this is the best new record I've heard since Bon Iver. /Bakamomo

Anonymous said...

after some mental processing on my part . . . . . this album is great! btw the artwork is great. this is a great band, god bless 'em!

Cameron said...

hey, can you please please please re-up this because i missed it by a few days when you posted it and cannot find it anywhere else!!!