Monday, July 28, 2008

The Faint - Fasciinatiion

It's been four years since The Faint released an album (Wet From Birth) and there's been a hell of a lot of dance bands that have entered the music scene since they chose to go into hiberation. So now that we have Hot Chips, Crystal Castles, and LCD Soundsystems to listen to, there's only one question that remains: what role does The Faint play in the indie dance scene of 2008? Fasciinatiion is The Faint's first post-Saddle Creek album to be released on their Blank.wav label. Honestly, I was a bit worried that they'd been gone too long and I'd lost too much interest in them to really enjoy their new album; but it's hard to ignore an album that is this infectious. Due for release on August 5th, Fasciinatiion is barely a departure from The Faint's previous albums, (aka it's still dancey), but there are some differences here and there. Guitars are more prevalent on this album and it's less in-your-face than an album like Danse Macabre.

Perhaps the biggest difference though is that this is the first album in The Faint's history that they wrote, recorded, produced, art directed, and released entirely on their own. While that's an impressive feat, one has to wonder if that was really the best decision. Sure, Fasciinatiion is a fun album, but it's hard to ignore the fact that there's barely three songs on this album that really grab the listener by their headphones and give them that "Holy shit, this is awesome" feeling that Blank-Wave Arcade and Danse Macabre conveyed so easily. Don't even get me started on the song "Fulcrum and Lever," a lyrical mess of a track that is actually. about. a. see-saw. No, really. I wanted to like this album, I really did, but if this took The Faint four years to make, well that's just kind of sad, I'm sorry. If you're a loyal fan though, there's still a few worthwhile tracks here and there, but please download at your own listening risk.

DOWNLOAD: The Faint - Fasciinatiion [Blank.wav]
Recommended Tracks: "The Geeks Were Right," "Mirror Error," "Fish In A Womb," "A Battle Hymn For Children."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So is it "infectious" or shit?

Anna Apocalypse said...

Both. It's pretty catchy and there's a few tracks I do enjoy, but that doesn't excuse the fact that most of it is shitty.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you

The Year After Graduation said...

Man.. You were right.

Thats all I have to say..

Stephanie

brittany said...

I haven't listened to it yet, but I'm choosing to ignore your negative nancy naysaying.


Oh Anna, how you enrich my life.

Neil said...

The truth is, the cd is in NO WAY The Faint's best work. However, the cd does boast a few good songs. This CD was their first that they did completely on their own (writing, production, etc). Saying that, the CD is a small departure from their previous work. Keeping the same effected and mutated; beats, guitars, bass and vocals, the guitars seem a little more "raw."

While the CD is nothing life changing and breakthrough for the artists, it's catchy, fun and all around worth a listen at the very least.

Anonymous said...

Music is ssssoooooo disposable these days! Good thing we get our own say!

Anonymous said...

"Fulcrum / Lever" is amazing. The Faint have one of the tightest / high-energy live shows around.

Haters - eat strychnine-laced shit and trip onward[s].

Anonymous said...

I dont think there is really 1 AMAZING track on this album. Even the single released "The Geeks Were Right" isn't that great. I am a long time Faint fan and i really only like the last 2 tracks. Of course this is just my own opinion. People like diff stuff. But i agree with Anna hands down.

justTOMM said...

Ive had this album for about 2 months now and i listened to it non stop for about 2 weeks just because i was so excited that the faint had released a new album. I soon grew sick of it but now im craving it again.
Its a great album and i personally love it.
and Fulcrum and Lever is such a kick ass track so i dont know what your talking about.