Thursday, July 10, 2008

Noah And The Whale - Peaceful, The World Lays Me Down

Just as I was about to sit down and review this album tonight, I saw the Saturn commercial on TV featuring the song "5 Years Time" by Noah And The Whale. I've seen this commercial roughly a million times now, but every time I see it, I still find myself surprised that such a small band (okay, I guess they're not that small anymore, this album is coming out on Universal) were able to attract car company execs. Either way, Noah And The Whale deserve all the success they get and their debut album, Peaceful, The World Lays Me Down is proof of that fact. Due out on August 4th, Peaceful is an incredibly charming record. Kicking off with snaps, handclaps, and quirky acoustic melodies, the song "2 Atoms In A Molecule" sets the tone for the rest of the album. Singer Charlie Fink is hard not to fall in love with, as his Belle & Sebastian-esque vocals sing tales of lost love, being thankful, and other adorable twee things. "Shape Of My Heart," another standout track, booms sweetly with horns and lovely backing vocals courtesy of Laura Marling. With a sense of awkward grace that is reminiscent of Neutral Milk Hotel, Noah And The Whale are waving the twee torch high and aren't afraid to bring a little fun into the sometimes too serious indie genre. Plus, I don't know about the rest of you, but who can resist an album full of handclaps and xylophones? Not me, that's for sure.

DOWNLOAD: Noah And The Whale - Peaceful, The World Lays Me Down [Universal]
Recommended Tracks: "2 Atoms In A Molecule," "Shape Of My Heart," "Give A Little Love," "5 Years Time."
Noah And The Whale - Peaceful, The World Lays Me Down

9 comments:

BP said...

i saw the commercial earlier tonight and finally decided to track down the artist

thanks for being on the same mental wavelength

Colin the Iron Giant said...

and in case you needed another reason to adore them:

http://www.blogotheque.net/Noah-and-the-Whale,4150

forksandknives said...

annnnnna thank you for this, i listened to them on the under the radar mix that came with the last issue and i loved this band, thanks alot

Anonymous said...

I started to download this and some crazy spy-ware stuff started happening. Just a warning---it could just have been a coincidence.

Anonymous said...

Anna, have you heard the new one from White Denim? Also, check out that new Bowie bootleg re-release. Live in Santa Monica.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy furiously masturbating to this

katheryner said...

ah such good summer music

Anonymous said...

this is beautiful,thank you

Anonymous said...

fuck this indie shit train,
that everyone hops onto and bangs each other, pathetic.