It's always a good sign that a leak drought has ended when one of the most anticipated records of the fall leaks. Yes, today the internet gods have given us Okkervil River's new album,
The Stand-Ins, due for release on September 9th. Written as the second half of the originally planned
Stage Names double-album,
The Stand-Ins is more than just a collection of b-sides that didn't make it on
The Stage Names. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's as good as its companion album, but there are definitely some great moments within these eleven tracks. "Lost Coastlines" is a jaunty ride (with perfect vocal harmonies) that finds the Okkervil boys "rocking and rolling on waves" as they've "lost their way." The next track, "Singer Songwriter" is undeniably catchy, with Will Sheff's cathartic vocals spitting out each lyric in a heavy dose of sarcasm and a clean guitar riff that weaves in and out, grounding the song in its melody. Later, there's a crescendo in "Blue Tulips" that can only be described as "goosebump inducing," brilliantly boppy guitar riffs and handclaps on "Pop Lie" that make it the most catchy song on the record, and the best melancholic lyrics you've ever heard on the piano ballad, "On Tour With Zykos." While it may not measure up to
The Stage Names, a new Okkervil River record is still a new Okkervil record, aka infinitely better than most albums that will be released this year. Why are you still reading? Download this record, damnit!
DOWNLOAD:
Link Removed Per Label Request [
Jagjaguwar]
Recommended Tracks: "Lost Coastlines," "Singer Songwriter," "Starry Stairs," "Pop Lie," "On Tour With Zykos."
15 comments:
Thanks Anna! Thanks! Thanks!
Hell yes.
Thankyouthankyouthankyou.
wow - thanks for this one!
Any chance of you upping The Stage Names?
Thanks Anna. I grabbed this somewhere else, but checked here knowing you're a big fan of Okkervil's. I've only given this one spin so I can't judge yet, but it didn't grab me. Then again, I don't think the Stage Names grabbed me immediately either. We'll see; this will definitely be on my playlist for a while.
This album rocks, thank you!
Anyone else know where i can get this. I was a little late on it.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4SIQBPOM
hey anna...have you heard the A Classic Education ep?
think you would like it
mark
I have the album available for download Here
HAHAHHA EPIC PWN. Thank you too the person who actually tried to help me out.
Wow, need to listen to this ASAP.
Thanks a lot!!!
Hey Anna, any chance you'll do a feature on Nomo's "Ghost Rock"?
I've heard bits and pieces of this album and it sounds AWESOME. I'd love to listen to the full thing, and hear your opinions on it.
ay babeh,
did you get human highway? i'm just curious bc you posted islands before, but it's a great album and leaked not to long ago. i'd be more than happy to link it to you. i thought it was going to be horrible, but i find myself wanting to listen to it instead of "the stand ins," which itself is a great album...
anyways, i hope all is well anna. GO CUBS!
Connor,
My friend actually sent me Human Highway yesterday. I might blog about that tonight or tomorrow. Thanks though! Also, the White Sox are waaaay better than the Cubs, haha.
-Anna.
no anna no! SOUTHSIDE? REALLY?!? ahhhhh!
i still love ya though.
Post a Comment