Monday, July 21, 2008

Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst

Although I should have gotten over my Bright Eyes phase many years ago, there's something about Conor Oberst's blend of folk-rock that gets me every time. When I found out he had retreated to Mexico earlier this year to record a solo record with the The Mystic Valley Band and not his usual gang of Bright Eyes contributers, I was extremely intrigued to hear the results. As of last week, Conor Oberst surfaced and it is, without a doubt, the most mature effort that Oberst has put forth to date. Although his last album with Bright Eyes, Cassadaga, was pretty universal in its lyrics and less personal than his earlier releases, Conor Oberst takes that maturity one step further, lending it to his music and not just the lyrics. Alt-country guitars turn "Sausalito" into a lost Ryan Adams b-side, while wide acoustic strums and an organ make "Get-Well-Cards" sound almost radio friendly.

Normally, I would complain that Oberst had lost his edge, creating such accessible music, but in this case, each song is so wonderfully crafted with equally well-written lyrics that it's easy to ignore such accessibility. I've always been a fan of Oberst's lyrics, especially when I was an emo seventeen-year-old that almost wore out my copy of Fevers and Mirrors. On Conor Oberst though, he has upped his wordplay skills, weaving together culture references with hints of emotion that are nowhere near as personal as anything he released in Bright Eyes. "Cape Canaveral" and "Danny Callahan" are great examples of this, combining larger concepts with human emotions. Ultimately, Conor Oberst is a turning point in Oberst's career. At first, I was sad that he had shed his Bright Eyes skin, but if every solo album is going to be this great, well Oberst can release albums under any moniker for all I care.

DOWNLOAD: Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst [Merge]
Recommended Tracks: "Cape Canaveral," "Get-Well-Cards," "Danny Callahan," "I Don't Want To Die (In The Hospital)," "Souled Out!!!."

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope this is cool Anna, I was real excited about it =P

Santogold/Diplo - "Top Ranking"

Links:

Part 1: http://www.uploadjockey.com/download/4402764/dasp1.rar
Part 2: http://sharebee.com/34b8bd87
Pass: stealbars

cya.

Anonymous said...

thank you anna!!! any links to the new ra ra riot?

ryanluikens said...

pitchfork's review for Black Kids is lololllolo ol

Rotch said...

The Mystic Valley Band is his usual gang of Bright Eyes contributors, for the most part. And this sounds just like any other Bright Eyes album... not that I'm complaining.

Nathan Goldman said...

"Although I should have gotten over my Bright Eyes phase many years ago"

What the hell does that mean? Because Conor Oberst's lyrics are often angsty or whatever, you're not SUPPOSED to like him when you're no longer a teenager?

Maybe you should just like what you like and not care what other people think about it!

Maurice Burford said...

this didn't work for me at all.

it said the files were corrupted... :(

Anonymous said...

Anna, nobody cares about your retarded opinions.Just post and shut the F.. up!

chrismackey said...

This is really good. Thanks.

PeachPlumPear said...

marry me conor

Anonymous said...

Anna - I always appreciate your analysis, and this time is no different. Great record, great review. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

i think you meant connor, peachplumppear.

anna, you and i would've gotten along just lovely in high school, listening to brand new and bright eyes. death cab, too.

i find this album to be alright. step up from cassadaga, that's for sure.

also, and i hate to be this guy, but my ratio isn't the best on what? right now and i haven't been able to find this album on various blogs and forums. but do you have the rhumb line by ra ra riot? if not, all is well.

Anna Apocalypse said...

Connor,

I haven't seen the new Ra Ra Riot, I'll let you know if I do.

Hahah, all I listened to in HS was Bright Eyes and Brand New! We would've been bff's, for sure.

-Anna.

Anonymous said...

we'll stay 18 forever, don't you worry

Anna Apocalypse said...

Hahah, too bad I'm five years past that point. That song is so good though.

Anonymous said...

symbolically speaking, of course. i learned on my 19th birthday that it couldn't happen.

Anonymous said...

How does creating accessible music make it look like he's lost his edge?

It means he can relate more to the general public with his lyrics, and thus can get his music heard more and make a larger statement that reaches more ears in the future.

That's a good thing.