Sunday, July 06, 2008

Black Kids - Partie Traumatic

Like most of you, I too jumped on the Black Kids bandwagon when the internet become abuzz with the the free release of their Wizard of Ahhhs EP last year. Earlier this year, I saw them open for Cut Copy and was not very impressed with their performance. Still, as it grew closer to the July 22nd release date for the Black Kids' debut album, Partie Traumatic, I held onto some scrap of hope that they'd be able to spin their catchy EP tricks into a memorable full length album. As it turns out, I was half-right. Partie Traumatic (which contains the four tracks from the EP) is a fun album in all the right places. It's pure caffeinated pop that will resonate well with the eighteen and under crowd. But for the rest of us? That's up in the air. Personally speaking, I miss the rough recordings from the EP. Obviously, signing to Columbia means no more home recordings, but still, couldn't Black Kids have maintained some sense of their DIY ethics in their music, instead of going all gloss and superficial? It also doesn't help that their new non-EP songs are pretty ridiculous. On "Listen To Your Body Tonight," singer Reggie Youngblood contemplates a potential hookup, a recurring theme on Partie Traumatic. For a twenty-eight year old, one would think that he would be past the whole "singing about girls" thing. Apparently not, I guess. The EP tracks are given the full Columbia treatment and lose a bit of their original charm, but "Hurricane Jane" and "I'm Not Going To Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance" are great pop songs regardless. While it may not have a whole lot going on beneath its surface, Partie Traumatic is still catchy where it counts.

DOWNLOAD: Black Kids - Partie Traumatic [Columbia]
Recommended Tracks: "Partie Traumatic," "Hurricane Jane," "I'm Making Eyes At You," "I'm Not Going To Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance."
The Black Kids - Partie Traumatic

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've been lzng to it this past weekend as well and agree. they should've stayed in the basement :(

Anonymous said...

this is one of your better
posts i feel like, as far as
the actual commentary goes.

i definitely agree, there
was so much promise in that
ep, and although this is
catchy music, its not
nearly as charming. there
have been numerous interviews
with mr.youngblood in which
he explains the bands immediate
jump from nobodies to
columbia signees by saying it
was justified since he has been
playing music and trying to make it
in various bands for so long---
but i feel like when you abandon
the artistic integrity of
your music in response to
your failed successes, youre
going to disappoint more
than anything.

Neil said...

I'm not too sure how I stand on these guys. They are catchy in a very cheap feeling sort of way. I didn't catch on to this the way I hoped I would.

Tom Busler said...

I actually thought that it was better than expected. If you like crappy fidelity, buy crappy speakers... Or do a low-q rip fo' yo' bad self.

Anonymous said...

these guys sound like the beach boys.

Anonymous said...

no sir, I don't like it

Rotch said...

agree with the review and comments, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it nonetheless... "I'm Making Eyes At You" is pretty cool.

forksandknives said...

ive been waiting for this thanks anna. :-)

Anonymous said...

having seen them live on tour with cut copy I can attest to the review that was linked in the post - mostly underwhelming and only catchy because of a talented producer. And quite frankly, the Steve Bays-esque whiny vocals that Youngblood puts out make me want to cut off my ears like Van Gogh...

Anonymous said...

For a twenty-eight year old, one would think that he would be past the whole "singing about girls" thing.

LOL. Yeah, because after you reach the ancient age of 28, you pretty much never think about sex anymore. The rest of your post was decent, but unless you're being massively sarcastic, that's a huge dent in your credibility.