Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Beck - Modern Guilt

By now, you already know the details of Beck's eighth album, Modern Guilt: produced by Danger Mouse, two tracks featuring Cat Power, fulfills his recording contract with Interscope Records. What you may not yet be aware of is how radically different Modern Guilt is from Beck's last album, 2006's The Information. Clocking in at only ten tracks and just over a half an hour long, it's substantially shorter than The Information and shows Beck returning to a more simple, retro sound. A track like "Gamma Ray" relies on a relatively simple guitar riff and is one of the best songs on the album. It's shorter tracks like this and tighter melodies in general that give Modern Guilt its cohesive sound and make it an incredibly accessible album. But, that's not to say that Beck is playing it safe now that he's been around for awhile; check out the lush Pet Sounds-esque rocker, "Chemtrails," the creative sound effects and laid-back vibe of "Youthless," or the fantastically glitchy, "Replica," for example. If anything, Modern Guilt is a step in the right direction for Beck, who grabbed my attention again with Guero in 2005, and then lost it somewhere in the fifteen tracks on The Information. Although Beck may not have entirely reinvented himself on Modern Guilt, it's a sweet, uncomplicated album that is a welcome addition to any summer 2008 playlist.

DOWNLOAD: Beck - Modern Guilt [Interscope]
Recommended Tracks: "Gamma Ray," "Chemtrails," "Modern Guilt," "Replica," "Profanity Prayers."
Photobucket

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent. (read in a Mr. Burns-kind of way.)

Neil said...

This album is amazing. I love Beck's ever-evolving style!

ryanluikens said...

pet sounds!??! c'mon now. more derivative of Caribou's recent stuffs.. which in itself is obviously derivative of sooo many other things.

Anonymous said...

A perfect summer album. I love it.
'Souls of a Man' has a mean guitar part.

Yesiamaduck said...

Best album since Sea Change, to me Information was an improvement to Guero which I still maitain is his poorest album to date.

Anonymous said...

@ Ryan Luikens,

Calling shit derivative is soooo unoriginal.

Thanks, Anna.

Anonymous said...

Pet Sounds?

Anonymous said...

it's not horrible, but near mediocre at best. you're giving it way too much credit. The Pet Sounds comparison is ludicrous and shows your lack of knowledge and understanding of music history, but what can you expect from kids these days...?

Anonymous said...

By "Pet Sounds" did you mean a homeless dog taking a wet shit?

Anonymous said...

Spaceman:

I you think the author of this blog is ignorant (of music history, etc.) and if your expectations are, as you yourself suggest, that low... Then why read the blog at all?

Since you did read it -- at least today's entry -- why bother posting what you've posted? What have you achieved by being rude to someone who's kind enough to post, almost daily, music, reviews, and recommendations (whether you agree with them or not)? And, more importantly, how about some constructive criticism? If the Pet Sounds comparison is so off, what comparison works better? Please, dazzle us with your brilliance and your vast knowledge of music history.

----------

Anna:

I'm a regular visitor and occaisional downloader but I've never said thanks. So... Thanks! The music and your reviews are appreciated.

Anonymous said...

at first listen I didn't think much of it. But now on my third time through I think that it is just fantastic.

Much thanks anna!

NCS said...

Just to clarify these pseudo flame wars going on here...

There's a difference between reading the blog and "reading" the blog.

Meaning, actually reading the commentary versus only checking to see what the newest album post is. I'm in the latter (no offense).

If you combine a blog with links to leaked albums, chances are most people are only there for the links, not the opinions. If I wanted to be influenced by the opinions of young independent music worshippers who compare Beck to The Beach Boys, I'd just read Pitchfork. I outgrew my Pitchfork-reading phase about 3 years ago.

That's why I keep my blog link free. Nothing to distract attention away from my half-assed reviews.

Anonymous said...

this is a good album. don't let amateur cliched writing stop you from listening to it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you guys are really assholes! Congratulations, you can anonymously insult someone over the internet. Does that make your penises bigger?

Keep up the good work, Anna. I'm here for your reviews and love hearing what you think about these releases.

Anonymous said...

hey noel,
you might want to rethink that "no links to distract" rule...
after spending about 5 minutes at your blog i can say that the only thing you've got over anna's is a better background color.

= joel

Anonymous said...

Noel:

I agree, but your "clarification" misses the point. Spaceman *read* the blog -- as in, not only picked up the link, but read the content of Anna’s review. Obviously s/he disagreed with Anna’s assessment. That doesn’t make it appropriate to fire off a “You’re too young to have an opinion about music” comment. At the very lest, Spaceman should have ponied up what s/he thinks is a better comparison. How hard would that have been? Hint: please see Ryan Luikens’ comment for how easy it is.

Step one: politely identify problem / point of contention.
Step two: offer better alternative.

I didn’t mean to start a flame war -- not even a pseudo one -- and, Anna, I apologize for cluttering up the comments section. It just irks me when people post rude criticisms just for the sake of being rude. Sure, it’s the internet, but that doesn’t -- or at least shouldn’t -- mean that “anything goes”.

Anonymous said...

Gawd, who reads record reviews, for chrissake?! It takes less time to just download the album and listen to it (whether you plan to buy it or not) and form your own opinion. Are you going to let a snot nose blog-snob influence what you download for free? And if you write such reviews, why not make your writing more eloquent and interesting so at least it has some entertainment value

NCS said...

I never said my blog was any better or worse than anyone else's (the tagline even states I'm just some dude who likes to bitch about music). The only reason I even maintain it is because I have 4 friends who think they are funny and also like knowing about new music. Otherwise, I could care less about it.

Hipsters are to Pitchfork reviews like Scientologists are to L. Ron Hubbard. I know hipsters when I see 'em (hell, I had classes with those losers in Ra Ra Riot), and their iPods sync up quite perfectly to the "Best New Music" section of that site. Yeah, I see some of you sinking your heads right now. This site kind of reminds me of that too. Since when do hipsters like The Cool Kids or Girl Talk? Oh, right, Pitchfork liked it, so it's approved. Grow a pair and make your own opinions instead of relying on what a site says. In case you didn't get it, I'm calling you all Scientologists.

If you need me, I'll be listening to some Vampire Weekend and squeezing into my tight faded jeans while talking to people about how much cooler Mogwai is than some mainstream band. Oh, wait...

Anna Apocalypse said...

Blog drama omgz!

Anonymous said...

Better than The Young and the Restless. (The blog drama, I mean. Modern Guilt is much better than TY&TR).

By the way, anybody got The Walkmen or The Black Kids?

Muchas gracias.

Anonymous said...

thanks for this and all you find.

Anonymous said...

great album

does anybody know if this is a full retail 320 kbps and not some transcoded rip?

thanks ana

Anonymous said...

DON'T LISTEN TO THIS SCIENTOLOGIST WEIRDO! DON'T BUY IT, EITHER. YOU'RE ONLY SUPPORTING THE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY. DIE, XENU, DIE!

BP said...

this is fucking ridiculous
have fun splitting verbal hairs and cumming all over your own individual self-indulgence

^.^

Anonymous said...

the new Beck album plays like a "greatest hits" of indie. Which isn't really a bad thing, just not all that original.

BP said...

SHAPIRO

http://www.shareonall.com/BlckKds-PrtTrmtc_akpj_zip.htm

Anonymous said...

I need teepee for my bunghole