Sunday, June 29, 2008

Feral Children - Second To The Last Frontier

On my last blog, I posted Feral Children's SXSW EP, a four song sampler showcasing some of the Seattle quintet's strongest tracks to date. If you were a fan of that EP, you'll be happy to know that all four of those songs can be found on Second To The Last Frontier, Feral Children's reissued full length, due out on July 8th. Although it may be a reissue, this album is Feral Children's grand introduction to fans outside the Seattle area, and it's safe to say they come out swinging. Their raw and unruly, Yeasayer meets Modest Mouse sound, seeps from each of the twelve tracks on Frontier. The album opens with singers Jim Cotton and Jeff Keenan trading vocal yelps on "Spy/Glass House," and never once settles down, or allows the listener to predict what they're going to hear next. "Billionaires vs Millionaires" is the best song that Modest Mouse never wrote, while "Jaundice Giraffe" is creepy in the best way possible, with its haunting vocal harmonies, echoed guitar riffs, and a refrain of "They love your skin / They love your yellow skin, they do."

A handful of tracks later and Frontier delivers another one two punch with "Cannibal Prison" and "Lost In The Woods," the former focusing on Cotton's commanding vocals, with piano and guitar scales that beautifully crash into one another, and the latter a seven-minute plus epic that is Feral Children at their most restrained. Just like on their EP, "Zyghost" closes the album wonderfully, summing up the entire album with its galloping chords, tribal-sounding drums, and driven bass line. Not very often does an album come along where recommending every track feels appropriate, but in this case, it's hard to refrain from listing every song in the "Recommended" section below. Take that as your cue--download this album. Tell everyone you know about this band. We need more music like this in the world.

DOWNLOAD: Feral Children - Second To The Last Frontier [Sarathan]
Recommended Tracks: "Spy/Glass House," "Billionaires vs Millionaires," "Ex-Blindman," "Cannibal Prison," "Zyghost."
Feral Children - Second To The Last Frontier

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello anna you wouldn't happen to have the new ladyhawke album would you?

Anonymous said...

awesome! can't wait to listen to this bad boy. i freakin' loved that EP.

Anonymous said...

Hey Anna,

This album is really good. Thanks for posting it. I'm surprised more people haven't caught on yet. I see they were produced by the dude who recorded Animal Collective...and that could never be a bad thing!

peace!

Rotch said...

Hi,

I'm 2 hours away of downloading Beck's new on my slow office internet connection. So please save me the disappointment, is it real???

BP said...

try the new beck!
it's cooooool

Anonymous said...

love it.

Anonymous said...

What a great blog you have! <3 I'm definitely putting you in my bookmarks. And thanks super much for introducing me to my new favorite band!

Anonymous said...

I don't see how bands that sound nothing like Modest Mouse, AT ALL, keeping getting compared to them. Oh well, I guess I see why.

Anna, I love your writing, but I was involuntarily grinding my teeth when I read the MM comment. Oh well, it's cool.

BTW - CSS has leaked for a while now, though I haven't been to stoked about this one after hearing it. :(

- Greg

Anna Apocalypse said...

Greg,

I think the CSS is a fake, or has the real version finally leaked?

BP said...

nah it was a promo
so im pretty sure its accurate
http://www.shareonall.com/CnsdSrSx-Dnk_jypn_zip.htm

Anonymous said...

Make sure you check them out live if they swing through your neck of the woods. The energy is ten fold in their live shows. I'm lucky enough to be from Seattle so of course they play here often and I have seen them about a half dozen times and each show is better then the last. Great band that deserves any hype they get!

Great blog by the way.

Anonymous said...

i've seen them live too and i agree. the energy these guys demonstrate is incredible.

to comment on the modest mouse comparison....i do hear a definite influence. but then again, with experimental music, everyone is going to hear something different.

Anonymous said...

Holy Shit! Out of nowhere I have a new album in my top 10 of 2008. This is freaking awesome!

thanks Anna!

Anonymous said...

daddy likey.

i'm one that does hear a little MM in these guys. but they definitely have their own thing going on. i read a comment on another blog that said something like, "animal collective with some attitude". i agreed with that too.

Anonymous said...

this shit's crazy!

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the first time I listened to Lonesome Crowded West. And that is a great thing! Sounds like I gotta see them live sometime.

Anonymous said...

great blog anna. thank your for introducing to lots of great music. feral children included!

Anonymous said...

i'm glad i found your blog. i was searching for Feral Children and ended up here. thanks for the music! :)

Sheree Anne Johnson said...

Yay!