2009 is definitely the year of Yo La Tengo. So far, the trio has released an album under the band name,
Condo Fucks, called
Fuckbook, played a "Write The Night" request set at the Pitchfork Music Festival this month, announced a major fall tour, and is now set to release their twelfth full length album,
Popular Songs. Opening up with a dramatic string section on "Here To Fall,"
Popular Songs appears to be more laidback than 2006's
I Am Not Afraid And I Will Beat Your Ass. Cutting back on the noisy, lo-fi sound that can be found on the Condo Fucks album,
Popular Songs relies mainly on Georgia Hubley's ethereal vocal harmonies ("Avalon Or Someone Very Similar"). As a fan of Yo La Tengo's catchier side, I was thankful when the album picked up after a few songs with the boppy jam, "Nothing To Hide." No offense, Georgia, but your vocals can be a little cloying sometimes. As the rest of the album progresses, Yo La Tengo fall into a trap midway through with several forgettable tracks that don't do much for the album. Just as I was about to fall asleep, the gems start up again, with the bittersweet Ira Kaplen and Georgia Hubley duet "If It's True," the slow-burning "More Stars Than There Are In Heaven," and the fifteen-minute guitar feedback instrumental, "And The Glitter Is Gone." As a whole, I wish
Popular Songs was less restrained and focused more on genre-hopping like
I Am Not Afraid... did so well. But among the bland tracks, there are memorable songs here that make it worth a download. And hey, a new Yo La Tengo album can never truly be a bad thing.
DOWNLOAD:
Yo La Tengo - Popular Songs [
Matador]
Recommended Tracks: "Here To Fall," "Nothing To Hide," "If It's True," "And The Glitter Is Gone."
No comments:
Post a Comment