A few weeks ago, I posted Mew's companion
EP to their new full length,
No More Stories/Are Told Today/I'm Sorry/They Washed Away/No More Stories/The World Is Grey/I'm Tired/Let's Wash Away, the latter of which is due out on August 25th in the US. The EP did its job in getting me excited to hear the full length, but now that the full length has surfaced, I'm sad to say that it has left a bit to be desired for. The epic sound and soaring synths are still in place, but they're weakened by meandering melodies, throwaway instrumental tracks, and repetitive sounding songs. Perhaps
No More Stories... would function a bit better if Mew shortened its fourteen tracks to ten or twelve and made a more concise album. Unfortunately, Mew can't go back in time and fix things, so let's focus on the positive side of the album instead. The EP tracks "Introducing Palace Players" and "Repeater Beater" are still two of the strongest tracks on
No More Stories..., both pulsating with infectious melodies and interlocking rhythms. Other highlights include the vocal harmonies and twinkling percussion on "Hawaii" and the handclaps and mandolin on "Sometimes Life Isn't Easy." Although there are a few catchy gems on
No More Stories..., in the end it's not enough to make up for a less than stellar album. Less is more, Mew. Remember that next time around.
DOWNLOAD:
Mew - No More Stories [
Sony BMG]
Recommended Tracks: "Introducing Palace Players," "Repeater Beater," "Hawaii," "Sometimes Life Isn't Easy."
1 comment:
Thank you!
Post a Comment