When I admit to new people I meet that I like The Format, I'm often met with laughs. What people don't understand though is that it was pretty much impossible to ignore the duo if you lived in Arizona at all during their
Interventions and Lullabies heyday. Much to my guilty pleasure enjoyment, The Format broke up last year. Luckily, singer Nate Ruess has formed a new band with members of Anathallo and Steel Train called Fun. Actually, they write their name like this: "fun.," but I refuse to give in to incorrect grammar. Anyway, Fun's debut album,
Aim and Ignite is due out next month. The ten-song affair plays out in the same theatrical vein that The Format's second album,
Dog Problems, did. Sunny vocal harmonies kick
Aim and Ignite off on "Be Calm," which almost sounds like a song from Broadway musical due to the way that Ruess anunciates each word in a rapidfire manner, as if he's running out of breath. "Benson Hedges" follows and doesn't do much to shy away from the theatrics either, with its bellowing gospel intro. If you're a big Format fan, you'll probably be able to overlook this ridiculousness, but it's definitely not recommended for those that can't handle their music with a large helping of cheesiness, bouncy melodies, and a singer that sounds like he's grinning as he sings. There are some great catchy tracks on
Aim and Ignite though, so if you're in the market for something Fun (come on, that joke was waiting to be made), this album is definitely for you.
DOWNLOAD:
Fun. - Aim And IgniteRecommended Tracks: "Benson Hedges," "All The Pretty Girls," "Take Your Time (Coming Home)."
3 comments:
I really enjoy this as a summer album. What's wrong with an artist that makes fun music and sounds like they're "grinning" when they're singing?
Thanks for the music!
I've been saying for a while now that Dog Problems is almost criminally underrated. Looking forward to checking out this record...
I love the format, especially that first record, I always listen to it in preparation for summer, and then throughout as well.
I'm excited to see what this record is like, I hope it's good.
Post a Comment