Four years ago, Mew were all over the place. Their latest album,
And The Glass Handed Kites, had just been released in Europe and would see a US release in July 2006, further cementing their place into critics hearts. Now it's 2009 and I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to them. Perhaps that will change with their
No More Stories EP, a companion EP to their forthcoming album,
No More Stories/Are Told Today/I'm Sorry/They Washed Away//No More Stories/The World Is Grey/I'm Tired/Let's Wash Away. Yes, that is really the name of their new album and it's due out on August 19th. "Introducing Palace Players," the first of the two new album tracks, almost sounds too funky to be a Mew song, with its snakey bass and guitar rhythms, until the dramatic synths and Jonas Bjerre's distinct voice kick in, that is. "Repeaterbeater," the second album track, lives up to its name with a swirling repetitive melody as the focal point of the song. Out of the three b-sides on the EP, the only one that really stands out is "Swimmer's Chant," as the other two songs are too short to really pay much attention to. Overall, it's clear that the b-sides were left off of Mew's new album for a reason (they, uh, aren't very good) and the two new album tracks are making me anticipate the full length even more now, despite its ridiculous title.
DOWNLOAD:
Mew - No More Stories EP [
Sony]
Recommended Tracks: "Introducing Palace Players," "Repeaterbeater," "Swimmer's Chant."
1 comment:
I love this band, but this Ep....not so good. praying this isn't an indication of what their new album will sound like.
Post a Comment