Elliott Smith is generally a fall favorite of mine, but if asked to pick a specific album,
Either/Or is definitely my number one choice.
XO is too upbeat (well, not really, but in Elliott Smith terms it is),
Elliott Smith isn't as cohesive,
Figure 8 is too long, and etc. It's really
Either/Or that was made for the fall season, even if it was released in February. Smith's voice has never sounded more bittersweet and reflective than it does on this album. I'll never get sick of classic tracks like "Rose Parade," "Angeles," or "Say Yes," the latter being the most optimistic song Smith has probably ever written, and a curious choice to close out the album. In addition,
Either/Or also sums up the fall feeling with its brilliant melancholy, expressed perfectly in the stirring "Between The Bars," or in "Pictures Of Me" with lyrics such as "Everybody's dying just to get the disease." Seriously, besides winter, what other season is perfect to listen to Elliott Smith than the fall? Leaves are dying, it's getting darker earlier, it's freezing cold (at least in Chicago), and Smith's music has never been more fitting.
DOWNLOAD:
Elliott Smith - Either/Or [
Kill Rock Stars]
Recommended Tracks: "Between The Bars," "Pictures Of Me," "Rose Parade," "Angeles," "Say Yes."
7 comments:
anna, i highly recommend you search for the Smith bootleg called Live @ the Black Cat. Since I downloaded it a few years ago, i haven't wanted to listen to another Elliott Smith album since. It's by far my favorite Smith recording, and my favorite bootleg that I own. They have it at the waffle store. 10/10, 5/5.. Go go go...
here is the tracklist.
04.17.98 - black cat - washington dc
angeles
division day
clementine
waltz #2 (xo)
between the bars
southern belle
jealous guy
say yes
oh well, okay
no name #4
rose parade
alameda
pictures of me
some song
biggest lie
st ides heaven
care of cell 44
speed trials
thirteen
no name #3
- SAUER
Great choice - the cover is one of the best ones evr made! Singer-songwriter albums is often so "sensitive", but this one is one of a kind. Perfect fit with the music: tender yet quite stripped down and hardcore. Great blog, great taste, Anna. (Even if you didn't post Ryan Adams new one. He certainly has had his ups and downs, but "Cardinology" is fantastic. Took me two weeks to realise it, though ...)
One of a handful of indie albums totally beyond reproach. His best, and that is saying A LOT. "Angeles." Heartbreaking.
Wow. You couldn't be more right about this album being perfect for fall. I had never thought of it that way. Thank you!
new fennesz is great!
Roman Candle is also great for the fall, at times it's my favorite Elliott Smith record.
I also love Matt Pond PA's album "several Arrows for fall. In attempting to make mixtapes for fall I actually don't get much further than Matt Pond PA.
I will say the Elliott Smith is a favorite and I have yet to backtrack my way to this album, so...thank you.
Post a Comment