Sunday, June 08, 2008

Tilly And The Wall - O

When Tilly and the Wall's debut album, Wild Like Children, came out four years ago, I was all about the Omaha quintet that features a tap dancer instead of a drummer. Then, they had to go and release the mediocre Bottoms of Barrels in 2006, leaving me dumbfounded and not so much a huge fan any longer. Still, I was curious to hear what direction their third album, O, had taken them, thus the reason for this post. At first listen, O seems to take more chances than Bottoms of Barrels did, but Tilly's old tricks can still be heard in the background. Their first attempt at a new direction occurs with "Pot Kettle Black," as '60s surf-rock riffs provide a great backing to some amusing Be Your Own Pet-esque lyrics. "Cacophony" follows with Tilly's signature shouty-pop and a saxophone, of all things, in the background. Actually, horns are all over O, and they work very well to highlight Tilly's already peppy sound. Amidst all the standout tracks though, there are quite a few duds ("I Found You" and "Chandelier Lake," for starters) that serve to remind the listener that Tilly will probably never recapture the spirited "I don't give a fuck" sound of Wild Like Children. Ultimately, O is still worth a download for the handful of decent new songs that it offers.

DOWNLOAD: Tilly And The Wall - O [Team Love]
Recommended Tracks: "Pot Kettle Black," "Cacophony," "Jumbler," "Dust Me Off," "Too Excited."
Tilly And The Wall - O

No comments: