Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pop Apocalypse Mix #10 - '90s

With the recent reissue of Liz Phair's Exile In Guyville, I've had the '90s on my brain lately. If you've been a longtime Pop Apocalypse reader, you may recall on my old blog I posted an entry sometime last fall of random '90s songs I liked. That entry got such a positive response that I had been meaning to do an entire '90s mix since then, but never really got around to it until now. Although I was barely in junior high when most of these songs were at their peak, I still have incredibly fond memories of coming home from school, turning on my local rock radio station, and listening to all these old favorites as I did my homework. Spare me the negative comments though, I'm well aware that most of these bands aren't incredibly talented and that these songs exist purely for nostalgic purposes. But really, that's more than enough for me. This mix represents a very small portion of the ridiculous amount of '90s songs currently taking up space in my iTunes. I tried to avoid really famous songs that everyone has heard a million times ("Buddy Holly," "Loser," etc), instead favoring one hit wonders and other forgotten treasures. If you're interested in stepping back into the decade that gave us Crystal Pepsi, be sure to give this mix a good listen. Also, a quick sidenote--most of these songs are 128 kbps, but hey, it wouldn't be the '90s without lo-fi and grungy sounding songs, right?

TRACKLISTING:
1. The Breeders "Cannonball"
2. Primitive Radio Gods "Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand"
3. The Folk Implosion "Natural One"
4. Soul Asylum "Misery"
5. Cracker "Low"
6. Deep Blue Something "Breakfast At Tiffany's"
7. The Cranberries "Zombie"
8. Local H "Bound For The Floor"
9. Spacehog "In The Meantime"
10. Lisa Loeb "Stay (I Missed You) [Living Room Mix]"
11. Sponge "Molly (Sixteen Candles"
12. Spin Doctors "Two Princes"
13. Veruca Salt "Volcano Girls"
14. Gin Blossoms "Til I Hear It From You"
15. Dishwalla "Counting Blue Cars"
16. Belly "Feed The Tree"
17. Sneaker Pimps "Six Underground"
18. Butthole Surfers "Pepper"
19. Better Than Ezra "Good"

DOWNLOAD: Pop Apocalypse Mix #10 - '90s

26 comments:

J Caldwell said...

primitive radio gods!
anna...no...please...my brain can't take the flood of memories.

it's gonna go perfect for my road trip this weekend.

ps. sneaker pimps make it onto my mix EVERY time i DJ. good choice.

Nick said...

If I made a 90's mix, it would be virtually identical to this. I give it an A+!

Anonymous said...

ugh. 90s were so bad.

Anonymous said...

breeders, local h, spacehog an folk implosion had good songs but overall this makes me want to stab myself in the heart.

"stay", "zombie" "low" "breakfast at tiffanys". dishwalla! uggghhh

Anonymous said...

What about Green Jello?

Great mix, Anna.

Has anyone seen Modern Guilt floating around yet?

Anna Apocalypse said...

Hey, Anon's, I never said these were amazing songs, that's kind of the whole point of the mix. Everyone has guilty pleasures, and I'm sharing some of mine. I'm sure the two of you have your own guilty pleasures.

Shapiro,
Modern Guilt hasn't leaked yet. Will post when it does.

-Anna.

Jonny said...

Nice choices on the Better Than Ezra and Spacehog!

The nineties are full of guilty pleasures...

Anonymous said...

I worked at a record store when a couple of these songs were big. Great memories. Best job a teenage kid could have.

Peter Frederiksen said...

Deep Blue Something. I haven't listened to them in forever. I loved that song.

Anonymous said...

No offense but I hated most of this music when it was released.

This isn't a 90s mix. It's a cock rock radio mix. A lot of these songs are still played on shitty rock stations all over the country.

If I made a 90s mix it would be A LOT different.

Anonymous said...

THE FAINT.

BECK.

THE WALKMEN.

where are they?

Anna Apocalypse said...

Really, Sauer?

To me, the term "cock rock" equates to '80s hair metal/glam rock. I suppose you could argue that the '90s modern rock radio scene was heavily infested by men as well, but last time I checked, Lisa Loeb, Liz Phair,and etc didn't have cocks.

Anonymous said...

walkmen, the obtained.

Anonymous said...

you make the 90's sound really bad with that horrible mix. It's like you picked the absolute worst, generic top 40 cheeseball crap you could find.
I'd hate to be your boyfriend..

NCS said...

Hm, my definition of a 90's mix would probably consist entirely of gangster rap.

Now that I think of it, 90's rock really was awful. Aside from early Weezer/Rentals tracks, I can't think of a single rock song from that era that I still listen to today.

Yeah, definitely stickin' with the gangster rap. I even have a black Compton hat, and (almost) the entire Death Row Records discography. I even wrote a 12-page paper in college on the phonology of African American Vernacular English used in early 90's gangster rap, complete with sound samples. Did I mention I'm a nerd?

Anonymous said...

i meant jock rock, another term for cock rock. Didn't mean offense. Just something I didn't get into when I was in H.School

Anonymous said...

whoa, a tongue is only a tongue when it's cut outta your mouth & lying elsewhere, when it's inside of your mouth it's 'your' tongue.
And, scooter, lets keep our freudian tongue slips tucked in, because we'd all love to be your boyfriend.

ryanluikens said...

Am I the only the one who finds that 90s mainstream vocalists [especially male] sound strangely more "mature" [or adult or older] when compared with other decades? I'm not talking about lyrical content, but actual vox octaves. Post 30ish.

Maybe there have just been a few too many mouse-y, squeakish, child-like frontmen these past few years that have messed up my perspective.

Anonymous said...

These songs may seem cheezy now but when they were on the radio way back when they represented a step in the right direction for the medium at the time. Unfortunately, mainstream radio's even shittier now than ever but who listens anyway? Yeah everyone's too cool for school now to admit it. If you don't like it, you can shove it. But you don't like it, you love it. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Lukas said...

Did anybody read the disclaimer in the post?

Anonymous said...

what right does anna have to force us to download these mixes with top 40 bands like the breeders ugh

Anonymous said...

where's flagpole sitta?

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to dock on this mix like everyone else, but to those who claim nothing of worth came out in the 90s, you obviously haven't looked very hard.

archers of loaf, pavement, dinosaur jr, polvo, sebadoh, gbv, silver jews, microphones, violent femmes, pinback, blonde redhead, etc.., etc..,

there is an obscene amount of good music released in the 90s and apparently not all of you have found it all :) it's ok though, keeping up on the pitchfork top 10 is enough to be hip tho

Anonymous said...

haha, i knew this mix was going to draw some heat. i agree with the guilty pleasures classification. some of these songs are cringe worthy now, but having "come up" in the 90s, it's still nice to go back and revisit them from time to time. this is a good mix of songs i actually listened to and enjoyed when i was 14/15 years old and not stuff i ended up going back and discovering later in the life (as much as i wish i had heard an album like "Clouds Taste Metallic" at 15 years old, the truth is I only had access to "radio rock" at the time. The nostalgia factor plays a big part here and for that reason, I'm loving this tracklist.

Anonymous said...

I woke up at 3am this morning and put this on. I shockingly made it all the way through. Thanks for putting it together, it was a treat.

Rika said...

Haha, I was just listening to Pepper.
Great song. :)