Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Deerhunter - Microcastle

It's always shocking when an album leaks well in advance of its release date, but in the case of Deerhunter's third album, Microcastle, it has leaked before a release date was even set! Madness, I know. If you've been paying attention to any of the online chatter about Microcastle, you'll know that everyone's initial response to the album is how much less ambient it is from 2007's Cryptograms. Although I enjoyed the lush ambient textures on Cryptograms, I wasn't sad to see them disappear, especially since they've been replaced with a whole new side of Deerhunter on their new album. Repetitive, chiming guitar riffs keep "Agoraphobia" focused and soothing (sidenote: is that really Bradford Cox singing?) in the beginning of Microcastle, while "Never Stops" takes Cox's love of '60s psych-pop, turning it into a moody pop gem of a song, and "Nothing Ever Happened" stirs things up with a bouncy bassline. No worries though, Deerhunter haven't completely gotten rid of their rambling, ambient nature, as songs like the beautiful title track, "Calvary Scars," and "Green Jacket" clearly demonstrate. Cryptograms may have been the album that introduced Deerhunter to thousands, but Microcastle is the record that is going to give them staying power and show that they're more than just another blog band.

DOWNLOAD: Deerhunter - Microcastle [Kranky]
Recommended Tracks: "Agoraphobia," "Never Stops," "Microcastle," "Nothing Ever Happened," "Saved By Old Times."
Deerhunter

16 comments:

Rotch said...

Great album, can't stop listening to it. IMHO frontrunner for 2008's top album. Blew away all my expectations.

By the way, the coldplay album sounds crappy. does someone have a higher quality copy????

Lukas said...

THANK YOU!

Anonymous said...

Thanks :)
Andrea_

Anonymous said...

Is it Whitney Petty who sings on "Agoraphobia" and "Never Stops"?

Anna Apocalypse said...

I don't think so, it kind of sounds like a guy singing to me. Could be wrong though.

Anonymous said...

it's Lockett Pundt singing.

Anonymous said...

ZOMG grab the album before the record company complains!!

Anonymous said...

Tank the lord for Pop Apocalypse

blob bladewig said...

I'm am amazed at how great this album sounds. I was not that big a fan of Cryptograms, and Fluorescent Grey was a step in the right direction. This new album has nailed it.

Thanks Anna

Anonymous said...

i agree with bob.

as much as the ambient stuff of cryptograms was "interesting," it was ultimately a detractor for me. fluorescent grey was a really nice chunk too, but it nowhere near nailed it the way this does.

i really wasn't prepared for what they're doing here.

flawless? no. but damn near.

Anonymous said...

Im another one that didn't really care for all the ambient annoyances of Cryptograms. This straight-forward record is much more my speed. It's fantastic.

Evan said...

Hey,

I haven't listened to the Deerhunter yet, but I just want to say that your blog is great, and I've been reading it for a while. Keep up the good work, and thanks for all the tunes.

Also, if you feel like reading some nonprofessional subjective garbage, check out my comedy/music blog:

replicantdiscoshakedown.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

that's some bologna. it's been known for quite some time that the album is being released on halloween.

Anonymous said...

Is the new Sigur Ros out there?

Rotch said...

yes, the new sigur ros is out ther

Anonymous said...

ya, and it's incredible.