Thursday, June 19, 2008

Girl Talk - Feed The Animals

It's been two years since Girl Talk (aka Gregg Gillis) released Night Ripper, his third album that catapulted his career and launched him into the echelons of international success. Since then, other acts have picked up where Gillis left off, creating their own mash-ups and gaining much success from the genre (The Hood Internet anyone?). Now that Gillis is back on the scene with his latest album, Feed The Animals, the question that begs to be asked is: can he regain control of the genre he helped popularize a few years ago and climb to the top of his game again? Feed The Animals, as every single person with a computer knows, is available right now via Illegal Art's website in the "pay what you want" Radiohead model. Score one for Gillis actually giving his fans what they want right away.

But, I digress, let's discuss the album itself. Feed The Animals isn't that much different from Night Ripper. Although Gillis said in interviews that the snippets of samples were going to be longer and not cut in and out as much, one listen to the new album will prove that that is simply not true. Sure, Feed The Animals may feature tracks with longer lengths (average song length is four minutes, versus two or three minutes on Night Ripper), but that doesn't mean that the samples extend any longer themselves. But, all technicalities aside, the album itself still rules just as hard as Night Ripper does. Check out an incomplete list of samples on Wikipedia for proof. There's really nothing to say about Girl Talk's music that hasn't been said a hundred times over again, so I'll just leave it at this: if you're looking for a new dance party soundtrack, get to downloading now!

DOWNLOAD: Girl Talk - Feed The Animals [Illegal Art]
Recommended Tracks: The entire album! Of course!
Girl Talk - Feed The Animals

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually think it grooves much better then Night Ripper did. His last album was much more spastic, Feed the Animals is more accessible

forksandknives said...

i saw this was out last night and i was so excited, can't wait to listen

thanks anna

Anonymous said...

Instead of posting a sendspace link, you should just provide the link to illegalart.net so people have the option to download for free or donate whatever they please.

Tom Busler said...

I second that last comment. I paid Mr. Gillis last night! You can always have it for free there, too. Also, I don't think "eons" is the word you were looking for... perhaps "echelons"? An "eon" is a time period... Still, nice work.

Anna Apocalypse said...

Tom, thanks for the correction, that's what I get for watching tv while blogging!

Anon, I only posted the sendspace link because that's what I do with every post. I also linked to the illegal art site like twice, fyi. I'm assuming most people will choose to download from the label site and not from my link, which is cool. As long as they hear this record somehow, it doesn't matter to me.

Anonymous said...

"As long as they hear this record somehow, it doesn't matter to me."

that is one of the most selfish things I've ever read.

link the album the way it was intended - to the site for possible donation.

Anonymous said...

I would have to disagree with the following: "Although Gillis said in interviews that the snippets of samples were going to be longer and not cut in and out as much, one listen to the new album will prove that that is simply not true." While I think I might've agreed after a couple listens, a few more and I think I see what he's talking about. On Night Ripper , I couldn't remember that many instances of allowing the mash ups to breathe - here, we have those moments in spades. "No Diggity/Flashing Lights" "Boyz/Dreams" "Autumn Sweater/Ghetto superstar" "C.R.E.A.M./Mama" He lets these go for verses at a time - something he did rarely on NR. Anyhoo, I think this is a brilliant album but I cannot help but think of frat parties when I hear it. Either that's Greg's problem or mine.

Anonymous said...

yea that's fine, it was just a suggestion

Anonymous said...

this is very fun

J Caldwell said...

i really like the idea of the continuous track so that the album isn't just a handful of four minute tracks but 100 one minute tracks.

i want to see him live for the non-stop party. dan deacon was a close second.

Anonymous said...

New Ulysses Campbell is awesome.

Anonymous said...

"Score one for Gillis actually giving his fans what they want right away." -- Exactly! Remove the sendspace link.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much. This album is so much better than last time. And I might point out that it's your blog and you can post whatever link you want. If people don't like it they can get it somewhere else..