Thursday, April 09, 2009

Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

When your best known album is a reimagined version of Black Flag's Damaged from memory, you better up the ante for your next release. On Bitte Orca, The Dirty Projectors' new album due out June 9th, frontman Dave Longstreth relies on his unique voice and diverse instrumentation to create one of the best releases of 2009 thus far. I've never been a huge Dirty Projectors fan, but I can fully say that this album has changed my mind about the band. If you need some convincing too, check out the gorgeous vocal harmonies on "Cannibal Resource," the creative guitar work on "Temecula Sunrise," and the dance grooves and guitar picking on "Useful Chamber." When Longstreth is trying to rework Black Flag songs, he comes off as a bit pretentious. But thankfully, that pretention is nowhere to be found on Bitte Orca, which oozes with dense orchestration and experimental song structures. If you give any band a second (or first chance) this year, please make it Dirty Projectors.

DOWNLOAD: Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca [Domino]
Recommended Tracks: "Cannibal Resource," "Temecula Sunrise," "Stillness Is The Move," "Useful Chamber," "Fluorescent Half-Dome."

5 comments:

blob bladewig said...

Thanks Anna,
Seems like 2009 is complete - got Grizzly Bear, St Vincent and now Dirty Projectors!

You're the best.

Sam C. Mac said...

This is definitely one of my favorites of '09. I'm with you on their other stuff, Anna, I really didn't expect an album this solid from them. What's really impressive is that it has so many unexpected progressions but feels really tight, not overly indulgent or anything. All the tangents are clipped right when they need to be, and even the longest track ("Useful Chamber") feels perfectly paced. That track actually reminds me of "Blueberry Boat" a bit, with the bonkers tempo changes and ebbing melodies.

My favorite song is "Cannibal Resource" I though, which is their second catchiest track after "Knotty Pine"-- speaking of which, imagine if THAT song was on this album! I also really like "Stillness is the Move," and don't get why a lot of people seem to, um, not.

Logan said...

I have to say that I'm with Sam- I was not expecting anything that I would enjoy from this record but am pleasantly blown away. I'm really glad that I didn't let my distate for "Rise Above" keep me from trying this one again.

Naked Buppie said...

THANK YOU. Absolutely love this.

Lama said...

god damn this album is close to perfect. you really are the best!