Although it leaked last week, I think it's pretty fitting that I decided to post Black Moth Super Rainbow's new album,
Eating Us, today on 4/20 as their psychedelic sound is basically a perfect addition to any stoner-friendly playlist. Due out on May 26th,
Eating Us is their fourth full length album and definitely their most concise effort to date. Unlike their previous albums that average about sixteen tracks each,
Eating Us is only twelve songs long. The droney, psych-pop of "Born On A Day The Sun Didn't Rise" starts things off right, while vocoder vocals, synths, and twinkley melodies carry the weight of the following two tracks, "Dark Bubbles" and "Twin Of Myself." Despite an excellent beginning, the one immediate flaw I found after several listens of
Eating Us was how much some of the songs tend to drag. I'm all for slower songs, but when you mix woozy instrumentation with slowed-down vocoder singing, it's hard for me not to zone out. Perhaps that's one reason why this band is perfect for 4/20, but I personally couldn't get onboard with their slower material. Black Moth Super Rainbow really shine when their songs have more concrete melodies or when they spazz out a bit. When all of that is left out, there's not too many interesting things going on beneath the surface.
DOWNLOAD:
Black Moth Super Rainbow - Eating Us [
Graveface]
Recommended Tracks: "Born On A Day The Sun Didn't Rise," "Twin Of Myself," "Tooth Decay," "The Sticky."
No comments:
Post a Comment