Like most of you, I too jumped on the Annuals bandwagon back in 2006 upon the release of their debut album,
Be He Me. But really, the fantastic guitar explosion in lead single, "Brother," was all I needed to fall in love with the Annuals. Now, two years after their blog band status was cemented, the North Carolina six-piece are back with their follow-up release,
Such Fun. Considering my immense love for this band, my hopes were set pretty high for their new album. Fortunately,
Such Fun does not disappoint, stretching the Annuals' palette a bit further than the yelps and stomping drums of their last album. Utilizing piano on several different tracks to various effects (intense when paired with percussion on "Hot Night Hounds" and reflective on "Springtime") and alt-country charm ("Always Do"),
Such Fun appears to be a more restrained than
Be He Me, with all of the Annuals' previous sloppy edges smoothed over in the studio. Normally, this sort of studio polish would piss me off, but
Such Fun still sounds very much like an Annuals album that I can enjoy it just for that reason alone.
DOWNLOAD:
Annuals - Such Fun [
Canvasback]
Recommended Tracks: "Hot Night Hounds," "Springtime," "Hair Don't Grow."
3 comments:
thanks anna, i was waitin for this to come out, be he me was an amazing cd. where have your mixes been i miss em
anna no posts in so long!
I hope all is well. The silence is deafening, as they say.
Post a Comment