Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Grand Archives - Keep In Mind Frankenstein

Last year, Mat Brooke, former guitarist/vocalist for Carissa's Wierd and former guitarist for Band of Horses, emerged with his new band's self-titled debut, Grand Archives. Combining the best parts of folk-rock and melodic pop, the debut was a strong contender amongst its indie rock peers. Next month, Grand Archives are back again with their follow-up album, Keep In Mind Frankenstein. Less poppier than their first album, Frankenstein focuses a lot on the Grand Archives' folk side, as intricate melodies and wistful lyrics populate the first few tracks ("Topsy's Revenge," "Witchy Park/Tomorrow Will"). Although the album get bogged down halfway through with too many songs that sound the same, things pick up again later with the slide guitar and catchy percussion of "Dig That Crazy Grave." Overall, this is an okay follow-up album and fans of Fleet Foxes and other folky acts will definitely gravitate towards it. Personally, I think I prefer Grand Archives a bit more when they're doing rousing jams like "The Crime Window" from their last album, instead of the straight-up folk thing. But to each their own, I suppose.

DOWNLOAD: Grand Archives - Keep In Mind Frankenstein [Sub Pop]
Recommended Tracks: "Witchy Park/Tomorrow Will," "Silver Among The Gold," "Dig That Crazy Grave."

7 comments:

sherpstein said...

many thanks.

Anonymous said...

There 1st album was better for sure

ad said...

Very disappointing after a great debut. Not feeling any of this. Ick.

Keep up the great bloggin', Anna.

Christina said...

I like the album. If when it doesn't quite work, it's still better than most of the stuff out there.

eatplayswim said...

you've all gotten to big for your britches. this album is more meaningful to the universe than all your souls put together

Redbeard77 said...

Sounds like you are not familiar with Matt Brooke, and most importantly, Carissa's Wierd. Band of Horses (when Matt was in it) and Grand Archives self titled were a bit of an off shoot for him. This album sounds more like himself, and can't wait to give it a listen. Thanks for posting it up.

Horace said...

james sounds kind of stupid.

for some reason the download isn't working for me. I'm looking forward to hearing it though, I kind of enjoy folk more than pop.