Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Most Serene Republic - ...And The Ever Expanding Universe

The Most Serene Republic have always been one of those Arts & Crafts bands that I wanted a little bit more from; whether it was more Broken Social Scene-like creativity or more Stars-esque melodies, MSR seemed to be lacking something. On their latest album, the pretentiously-titled ...And The Ever Expanding Universe, they succeed at writing pretty pop songs, but fail at making a cohesive album that will find you skipping around for the best tracks instead, rather than wanting to listen to the record in full. That's not to say that Universe is a bad album, but I can also think of a lot of other dream-pop bands that I'd be more excited to listen to. If you are interested in downloading Universe, there are definitely a few gems that will still make it worth your while, like the synth-infused, light-hearted jam "Heavens To Purgatory," the foreboding electrified riffs of "Phi," and the dance-floor ready hooks on "Don't Hold Back, Feel A Little Longer." Although this is their third album, perhaps MSR just need a few more tries to create the album I know they're capable of creating. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt though.

DOWNLOAD: The Most Serene Republic - ...And The Ever Expanding Universe [Arts & Crafts]
Recommended Tracks: "Heavens To Purgatory," "Phi," "Catharsis Boo," "Don't Hold Back, Feel A Little Longer."

No comments: