Although they came close to getting dangerously overblown with their 2006 debut,
Carnavas, I've always had a soft spot for LA's Silversun Pickups. On their new album,
Swoon, the quartet perfectly tread the line between noisy ("There's No Secrets This Year," "Panic Switch") and delicate ("Catch & Release," "Draining"), but still end up sounding like Smashing Pumpkins lite. There's a few differences between
Swoon and
Carnavas, namely the use of orchestration ("The Royal We"), but when it comes down to it, Silversun Pickups are still making the same overdubbed distorted guitar music they've been doing all along. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as they are good at what they do, but I was hoping for a little bit more variety, to be honest. If you're a fan of Silversun Pickups already, you'll definitely be into this album. If you haven't heard them before, I'd suggest checking out their debut album first.
DOWNLOAD:
Silversun Pickups - Swoon [
Dangerbird]
Recommended Tracks: "There's No Secrets This Year," "Growing Old Is Getting Old," "Panic Switch," "Sort Of."
1 comment:
I was totally into their first album, but horribly disappointed with this one. I guess I just thought it would be better, even Panic Switch. I mean after watching them perform it live on MTV several times on mute while rocking my son back to sleep, they just looked like they were creating a great tune.
I can't even make it through the whole album...and it was one that I acutally paid for!
Post a Comment