Two years ago, John Vanderslice released
Emerald City, his sixth album and most politically-charged effort to date. Vanderslice's latest release,
Romanian Names, stands in direct contrast to
Emerald City, harking back to Vanderslice's love of faster, shorter pop songs and succinct harmonies. Due out on May 19th,
Romanian Names barely slides in past the thirty minute mark, proving that all Vanderslice needs to make a good record is his fantastic pop sensibility. Utilizing a wide range of instruments such as flutes, clarinets, saxophones, a marimba, and a viola,
Romanian Names dips down into sensitive singer/songwriter territory ("Fetal Horses," "Forest Knolls," "Romanian Names") and then bounces right back up again with genuine pop gems ("C & O Canal," "Sunken Union Boat"). The only thing lacking on the album is a sense of adventure or experimentation. Writing pop songs is all fine and good, but sometimes I wish Vanderslice would make more challenging music. To each his own, I suppose.
DOWNLOAD:
John Vanderslice - Romanian Names [
Dead Oceans]
Recommended Tracks: "C & O Canal," "D.I.A.L.O.," "Sunken Union Boat," "Carina Constellation."
No comments:
Post a Comment