I love that the Vivian Girls still release 7"'s, even though the blogger community has been eating out of the palm of their hand(s) for the past few months and they're still riding high on their 2008 self-titled debut album. On
Surf's Up, a 1,000 copy limited affair that you can order right
here, the girls showcase two original tracks and a cover of The Beach Boys song, "Girl Don't Tell Me." The first original, "Surfin Away," is a bit mellower than the Vivian Girls' typically brash sound, as is the next track, "Second Date," both songs relying instead on the trio's love of simplistic, lo-fi sounds. "Girl Don't Tell Me" is pretty much how you would imagine a Beach Boys song done by the Vivian Girls to sound, complete with vocal harmonies, fuzzy guitars, and a slight "wall of sound" effect combining all of the girls' best elements together.
DOWNLOAD:
Vivian Girls - Surf's Up 7" [Wild World]
Recommended Tracks: "Surfin' Away," "Girl Don't Tell Me."
3 comments:
I have to wonder whether bands like the Vivan Girls are disguising their lack of musical ability in these "fuzzy giutars" and lo-fi "wall of sound".
to osiris:
Honestly, I think they pride themselves on their lack of virtuosity. http://www.uncensoredinterview.com/vlogs/10136-Vivian-Girls-Take-that-Math-Rock
I'm all for bands with little experience/technical skill making music, so long as they have good intentions and don't have such a confrontative and condescending, "fuck you" attitude. Just watch the rest of these videos on here. They mock "normal people" and lame "office jobs", and pride themselves on their esotericism. Not everybody can work at a vintage clothing store/[fixed gear] bicycle repair shop/record store.
http://www.uncensoredinterview.com/vlogs/10128-Vivian-Girls-Fish-Out-of-Water-Sometimes
The Vivian Girls are about as good as No Age. I'll let you decide how to take that.
Post a Comment