It's been two and a half years since the release of Asobi Seksu's last album,
Citrus, a stunning collection of songs that I've praised on this blog many times. It should come as no surprise then that I've been anticipating the release of
Hush for a long time now. Due out on February 17th,
Hush picks up right where
Citrus left off, complete with Yuki Chikudate's lush vocals and James Hanna's layered shoegaze guitar sounds. Upon closer listen though, the differences between the 2006 and 2009 versions of Asobi Seksu start to reveal themselves. For starters, Yuki's vocals are much clearer and less steeped in effects than they were in the past. As a whole,
Hush represents a much more polished sound for Asobi Seksu, one in which they turn down the "wall of sound" they crafted so wonderfully on
Citrus and attempt to show listeners that they don't need to rely on their effects pedals 24/7.
At first, I was a little put off by this new side of Asobi Seksu, but once the rollicking drums of "Familiar Light" kicked in, I instantly remembered how much I love this band. The shoegaze isn't gone completely from their sound, just tuned down a bit. It may take a few listens to get used to, but with excellent tracks like "Glacially," "In The Sky," and "Me & Mary" competing for your attention, Asobi Seksu prove that the two years they took to make
Hush has only further refined and not hindered their sound.
DOWNLOAD:
Link Removed Per Label Request [
Polyvinyl]
Recommended Tracks: "Familiar Light," "Glacially," "In The Sky," "Me & Mary," "Mehnomae."
1 comment:
There is no album due this year that I've been looking forward to more. I definitely think that this is a great new direction for their sound; rather than treading the well-worn path of MBV sound-alikes they're trying to push the genre into new territory. This is one that I can't wait to have on vinyl.
Post a Comment