Thursday, January 22, 2009

Matt and Kim - Grand

Although it came out on Tuesday, I figured it was better late than never to post Matt and Kim's new album, Grand. Despite the lack of substance beneath their dance-punk tracks, I've always been a big fan of Matt and Kim's high-energy sound. On their sophomore release, Matt and Kim slow things down a bit, focusing less on breakneck power-pop songs and more on utilizing different sounds. The first example of this change comes in opener "Daylight," with its synth-sounding strings punctuating Matt's bouncy keys, and continues on with more synth in the hand-clap friendly, "Cutdown," and on "Good 'Ol Fashion Nightmare." All this synth and production isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it takes a bit to get used to for a band like Matt and Kim that made a name for themselves by employing a DIY, bare-bones aesthetic and sound. Amidst all their newfound maturity though, Matt and Kim's love for pop prevails and songs like "I Wanna" and "Cinders" will help to remind listeners why they fell in love with this spunky duo two years ago.

DOWNLOAD: Matt and Kim - Grand [Fader Label]
Recommended Tracks: "Daylight," "I Wanna," "Lessons Learned," "Don't Slow Down," "Cinders."

1 comment:

Bahloo said...

Such an underrated record. I never expected to be blown away like this. Thanks for this. So so so dope.