Raymond Raposa, the sole member of Castanets, has an amazing
beard. If that's not enough of a reason to respect the man, then try checking out his music. Castanets first came to the attention of critics through their involvement in the freak-folk scene several years ago. With the San Diego-raised, Brooklyn-based, Raposa at the helm, Castanets should have been as big as Devendra Banhart and other freak-folk heavyweights, but instead they remained ruefully unnoticed, cultivating a strong underground following. On the
Tendrils EP, which is partnered with a DVD release of the same name, Raposa gathers together a few remixes and covers of Deer Tick and Jana Hunter, to create an EP that is not a necessity to his catalog, but certainly a nice treat for true fans. My favorite part of any Castanets release is always Raposa's voice. Croaking out his vocals like it's his last day on earth, Raposa's intimate style of singing could give Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, Sam Beam, and Tom Waits a run for their money. Okay, maybe not Waits, but Raposa is still damn talented. If Fleet Foxes has been your favorite release of 2008 so far and you're missing out on the freak-folk sound of yesteryear, the
Tendrils EP and Castanets in general are both worth checking out.
DOWNLOAD:
Castanets - Tendrils EP [
Asthmatic Kitty]
Recommended Tracks: "All The Best Wishes," "In The Vines," "This Is The Early Game," "A Song Is Not The Song Of The World."
12 comments:
Well shoot. This was the first album in a couple of months that I've wanted to hear.
pretty quiet on the whole hypocrisy issue. why not just post the record to (somewhat) redeem yourself? I got a hold of a copy of it and tho I don't like all that much (it's not too bad tho) I will be posting it all over the place.
I highly doubt you have a copy of the 7" (the full length, maybe) because it's a fucking RECORD and the only MP3's of it are currently sitting in my iTunes and have not been uploaded.
But if you do have it, go ahead and post it all over the place. If anything, it will only promote the band and help me out. So, really, thanks in advance for your hard work. :)
Anna, it's not hard to rip a RECORD to mp3. And yes, I have a copy of it. got it from the band at a gig. I understand that it promotes the band by posting it, I don't have a problem with that. The band is way cooler than your lame efforts to promote them. I just wanted to challenge you to post it yourself, since you "promote" everybody else's band. Don't run from the hypocrisy criticism especially when you know it's true.
"The band is way cooler than your lame efforts to promote them."
That's pretty interesting, since I'm friends with them and they're well aware of how my boyfriend and I have been promoting them.
Do you really have nothing better to do than harass me on the internet? That's pretty lame if your life revolves around buying a record, ripping it, and spreading it around the internet in some lame attempt to "expose" me as a hypocrite. Seriously, save your energy and get a life.
In my entire life, I've never gone so far as to comment on the multitude of blogs that I read on a daily basis and try and bring down the author because I disagree with them for some reason or another. Nope, I actually have a life outside of my computer. You should try it, after all, I'm assuming you live in San Francisco, right? It's a beautiful city, why don't you put down the laptop and walk outside?
don't feed the troll, anna.
Andy's right ... and maybe a post of Jenny Lewis new record (which should be awsome) could help us all to exorcise the memory of that little f-cker from your great blog?
May I second the Jenny Lewis suggestion?
i would say post the precious "logos" (atlas sound) and "weird era cont." (deerhunter) demos that were unearthed in another bradford cox disaster that ended with him taking commenting off of his blog
but i feel terrible about it and the link would get taken down within minutes
Anon's,
Sorry guys, Jenny Lewis hasn't leaked yet.
BP,
I downloaded Logos and Weird Era Cont., but they're currently sitting on my desktop and I'm debating deleting them because I feel really bad for Bradford. I won't be posting them though. I'm sure there are still some links out there for those of you that missed the boat on that.
-Anna.
i feel terrible as well
less so about logos because he ended up posting it out of complete frustration, even though that still makes it a conflict of conscience
on second thought, yeah you shouldnt post them
though i have to ask if theres anyway i could have weird era cont, its impossible to track down now
nvm i found it, thanks though
Post a Comment