Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Bloc Party - Intimacy

I know, I know, this album came out last Thursday. But I got a bit distracted with the new Of Montreal that it fell to the wayside, and I only just dived into it a few days ago. Plus, I was a bit nervous to listen to it, honestly. I've been a pretty big Bloc Party fan ever since the Silent Alarm days in 2005 and Intimacy lead single, "Mercury," did little to convince me that this album was going to be a worthwhile listen. In the context of the full album, "Mercury" and its beyond annoying repetitive hook, still flounders, as does opening track, "Ares," with its over-the-top production and nursery rhyme-esque melody. Things pick up a bit with the third track, "Halo," a typical Bloc Party driving rock song that wouldn't sound out of place on 2007's A Weekend In The City. Other notable tracks include the blippy ballad, "Biko," the white-hot guitar-fest, "Trojan Horse," and the jittery stomper, "One Month Off."

Singer Kele Okereke has announced in interviews that Intimacy is his "break-up album," but other than the obvious album title and a few lyrics here and there, the album doesn't come across as particularly depressing, it's even dancier than Bloc Party's previous releases actually, utilizing electronic and big beat elements to a greater potential. Overall, Intimacy isn't a bad album, but I would be lying if I said I didn't expect more from a band like Bloc Party. Although they're trying some new things in their music, Okereke's lyrics are almost laughable at some points and I found myself wishing that they could create another album as great as Silent Alarm. Of course, that may never happen, so if Intimacy is what we're left with for the time being, it's still better than nothing at all.

DOWNLOAD: Bloc Party - Intimacy [Vice]
Recommended Tracks: "Halo," "Biko," "One Month Off," "Better Than Heaven," "Ion Square."

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right, it's definitely better than nothing.

But how can ANYONE think 'Mercury' is not ridiculously bad?! God it's bad.

Anonymous said...

yeah, this isn't a catastrophic record, but I loved Bloc Party especially for "Silent Alarm", and, I don't know, "Intimacy" seems very modest in confrontation to what they could have done with their capacities. But I still respect these guys. They have written great songs and maybe, one day, they will come back with another masterpiece.

Yesiamaduck said...

The is ONLY track I really like as opposed to being mearly indifferent (bar Mercury which is terrible) is Signs which is beautiful, they should head to the dream pop direction as its obvious they cant do driving guitar songs anymore

Anonymous said...

Dismissed, right? Always sitting in the middle, right?

Rotch said...

I try to keep my comments on the positive side, but this is hands down the worst record you've ever posted. Bloc Party both sucks and blows.

Anonymous said...

i don't know, i never thought bloc party was anything to get worked up about. their more emotional tracks were good, and the others where they really stretched themselves sonically were interesting as well... but that face makes more than half of silent alarm filler. so i didn't bother with their last one. but maybe i should put my toe in the water with this one, though. just to see.

The Cure For Pain said...

Bloc Party stunned a lot of people with Silent Alarm or at least I was. I mean that is a Solid top to bottom record. A Weekend in the City was not a terrible record but lets face we all wanted silent alarm 2. and Intimacy is kind of the same thing for me the first two songs are terrible and yes it picks up a little but overall I don't know if anyone will be playing this one on repeat.

Anonymous said...

Everybody's got such great last sentences!

I take it you guys haven't really listened to this, but had to get your initial/pre-formed opinions ready and....blast off!

You shouldn't go into listening to a record expecting something you want from the artist(s). That's not fair to either party.

Most music demands multiple listens and most of the time it requires turning your thoughts around to consider parts over again. That's when you can start to realize you might like it.

This record is so goddamn powerful! It's elegant and demonstrates both loss and love criss-crossed perfectly. Please give it a chance, all of you.

32feet said...

"Ion Square" is the most ambitious (and best) rock song of the year. No, it wasn't Calexico or Deer Tick or god knows what else people talk themselves into liking. It was Bloc Party.

Silent Alarm was almost four years ago. (Let's not forget it had its detractors at the time. We have since romanticized the release as something larger than it was - which was just a good post-punk/dance-rock album). Simple as that.

forksandknives said...

Hey anna, this isn't on didtileak or anything yet its the new Final Fantasy - Spectrum, 14th Century EP
http://rapidshare.com/files/140861283/f_f_-_s_f_c.zip

Mint Monk said...

32feet - You got straight A's.

Anonymous said...

furrrrrrrrr please please please

Unknown said...

annnnna i miss you post please! :-)