Friday, May 23, 2008

Pop Apocalypse Mix #9 - Your Turn!

As most of you may recall before my old blog died (RIP!), I had announced that my monthly mix for May was going to be culled from your own recommendations. I asked everyone to email me one song for the mix and 100+ of you responded! After spending a few days listening to every song, I narrowed it down to twenty-one candidates that caught my attention in some way or another. I tried to only include songs I hadn't heard before, which was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be, since I had never heard 80% of the songs that were emailed to me. If your song didn't make the cut, I apologize, it was nothing personal. But hopefully, you'll still be able to enjoy listening to the "Your Turn!" mix as much as I enjoyed compiling it.

Also, I added all my old monthly mixes on the sidebar to the right. Notice that they're linked directly to their download links, not my old posts that mention their tracklistings. If you want to know a tracklisting for some reason, email me.

Finally, if you're on Last.fm, you should join the Pop Apocalypse group that I started yesterday.

TRACKLISTING:
1. Gepe "La Enfermedad de los ojos (Gepinto)"
2. Thao with the Get Down Stay Down "Bag of Hammers"
3. Cloud Cult "Chemicals Collide"
4. El Guincho "Kalise"
5. The Dø "Stay (Just A Little Bit More)"
6. Phosphorescent "A Picture Of Our Torn Up Praise"
7. AA Bondy "Black Rain, Black Rain"
8. Hello Seahorse! "Won't Say Anything"
9. The Dodos "Men"
10. The Avett Brothers "Will You Return"
11. The Rentals "Friends Of P."
12. Mittens "Belinda"
13. The Constantines "No Ecstasy"
14. Foals "Red Socks Pugie"
15. The Muslims "Nightlife"
16. The Death Set "Negative Thinking"
17. Taken By Cars "December 2 Chapter VII"
18. Arthur & Yu "Lion's Mouth"
19. Sleepcomesdown "Soothe Your Sting"
20. The Snake The Cross The Crown "Behold The River"
21. Titus Andronicus "Fear And Loathing In Mahwah, NJ"

DOWNLOAD: Pop Apocalypse Mix #9 - Your Turn!

28 comments:

ArcadeFire said...

I take it very personally that you didn't pick my song.
I don't think I'm gonna come here anymore.

lol jk

Trevor Hartman said...

Anna, you need to release some artwork with your mixes :) The OCD in me won't let me add it to itunes without it

Anonymous said...

YAY! My Muslims made the cut!

Anonymous said...

Could you do another mix with only unknown and non-professional bands ?

Anonymous said...

Good to see The Avett Brothers and the Snake the Cross the Crown on the list. BOTH ARE AWESOME!

erin said...

Oh... I'm so bummed my Velella Velella recommendation didn't make the cut.

I'll donwload the mix anyway, but there better be some pretty amazing songs to justify this.

Sam C. Mac said...

Go Mittens! The best band you've never heard of.

Anonymous said...

urgh, this mix is a nightmare. they're all mixed formats and bad tagging. could you not just take the time to make everything universal instead of having everyone who downloads do it?

:\

Anonymous said...

wack as shit mix, yo!

Banger said...

:(

Anonymous said...

The rentals!!!!


Great Choice

Anonymous said...

you never heard friends of p? are you 14?

Anonymous said...

is nice to see a mexican band in there :)

J Caldwell said...

thanks for this, anna. think it would be awesome for you to post the rest of the tracks that didn't make the cut...

Anonymous said...

anybody have a link to the new ratatat?

Anna Apocalypse said...

J,

I would, but I don't have all the songs that didn't make the cut because I have too much music on my computer and deleted most of them after I decided I wasn't choosing them for the mix. Sorry!

Anon,

New Ratatat: http://rapidshare.com/files/
116951807/R-LP3.rar

-Anna,

Anonymous said...

Oh how I've missed you. Had to do some googling to track you down---if that didnt' work, I was going to find you on facebook.

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Anna, please learn about bit rates, transcoding and proper ID3 tagging if you are going to be distributing stolen music. It's the least you can do for the bands you are ripping off.

Anna Apocalypse said...

360,

Last time I checked, I wasn't born yesterday and I've been in this game long enough to know about bit rates, transcoding, and ID3 tags. It's not my problem if people sent me MP3's that were low bitrates or transcodes, that's beyond my control. As for ID3 tags, clicking "edit info" in iTunes really isn't that difficult, now is it? I never stated that Pop Apocalypse was only going to post 320 kbps downloads, I'm not an audio snob like some people. The purpose of my blog is to listen to new music and hopefully buy it when it comes out or see the band live if you like them. I believe the phrase for that is "supporting the band" not "ripping them off."

-Anna.

Anonymous said...

go fuck yourself, 360kbs

Anonymous said...

Great mix Anna, just ignore the sorry ass comments. Arthur & Yu was a great discovery for me, so I hunted down their album, nice Velvet Underground-like songs to set on repeat. Thats what musicblogs should be all about, showing the way to great music, not high bitrates.

LLL
/amon

Anonymous said...

Undoubtedly disappointed that Patchwork & Sleep didn't make it but judging by the selections made we didn't really fit anyway heh..we are stoked on some of the selections made. Here's hoping for more mixes like this!

Anonymous said...

....how come there aren't any American Idols on your mix? I know you never listen to them.... ;)

Love ya, ABL. haha

Anonymous said...

Yes.... Rentals, I'm glad they're not forgotten, one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

This was a great idea lol. Although I thought of a million other songs that would have been better to send rather than the one I did LOL

odinarygen said...

wow! stop waiting
thanks to all sender and anna


,Preeda

Banger said...

Christ, some of you people bitch way too much.

Anonymous said...

Whoever sent Thao and the Get Down Stay Down: Thanks you! I downloaded the album and it's fantastic! Definitely going to buy it.

Cheers.