As for tonight's post, I have the new Daedelus album, Love To Make Music To, which is due for release on July 15th. For those not in the know, Daedelus (aka Alfred Darlington) is an electronica producer from Los Angeles that has been on every important label in his genre, from Plug Research to Tigerbeat6 to Warp to Mush Records. Sticking with Ninja Tune Records for this release, it's clear after one listen that Daedelus has made his most accessible album to date. From the opening Go! Team reminiscent cheers on "Fair Weather Friends," to the chaotic beats and keyboards melodies on "Get Off Your Hihats," to the familiar R&B samples on "My Beau," Daedelus has made a record that is just as meaningful as it is dancey. The only tracks that really hold back Love To Make Music To are "Twist The Kids," "Bass In It," and "Touchtone," which all feature some painfully bad rapping over Daedelus' beats. If you're going to have rappers guest on your album, at least choose ones that are skilled at doing so. Other than that slight misstep, Love To Make Music To is sure to appeal to electronica/IDM fans as much as it will to the regular indie crowd.
DOWNLOAD: Daedelus - Love To Make Music To [Ninja Tune]
Recommended Tracks: "Fair Weather Friends," "Get Off Your Hihats," "I Took Two," "My Beau," "Only For The Heartstrings."

5 comments:
Good to have you back :-)
Get off your hihats make me wish i had a huge hat that i could ride around on and dismount from whenever you came near <3
Awesome. I've been looking forward to this since the Fair Weather Friends ep...what, six months ago? So far I'm digging it a lot. I don't think I mind the raps quite as much as you do, though I'll agree they aren't the best. It's odd, since he has worked with some very good rappers in the past. I can only imagine it must have something to do with the nostalgic sound he was going for.
First impression is that it's very nice but not quite as impressive as "Denies the Days Demise." It doesn't quite make my heart flutter like that one does. But there are probably more songs you could put on a mix tape. And with a few more listens it might grow on me.
Thanks for the post.
thanks so much for this anna a!! i haven't listened yet but i am so pleased for the chance to.
this doesn't sound like the daedelus i know... and i think i like it?
Post a Comment