Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Hold Steady - Stay Positive

Just three days after The Hold Steady posted their new single, "Sequestered In Memphis," on MySpace, their entire fourth album, Stay Positive, decided to leak. It's been almost two years since their last release, Boys and Girls In America, so it's safe to say that the anticipation level for Stay Positive is pretty much through the roof. Thankfully, the album does not disappoint in the slightest. From the opening power chord crunch of "Constructive Summer," Stay Positive swaggers and stomps with that classic Hold Steady attitude, touching upon their usual lyrical mélange of sex, drugs, and alcohol. But, not all the things are the same in Hold Steady land. No, instead Stay Positive finds the quintet using a brilliant horn section in the aforementioned lead single, while a harpsichord (of all things!) adds an epic element to "One For The Cutters," and a whiny guitar riff swirls around "Navy Sheets." And then, there are the ballads, the live show favorite "Lord, I'm Discouraged" and the moody, guitar-picking "Both Crosses." But really, it's that anthemic Hold Steady sound that gives Stay Positive its staying power, especially on such strong tracks as the title track, "Joke About Jamaica," and "Slapped Actress." In other words, there is no reason why you should not download this album.

DOWNLOAD: The Hold Steady - Stay Positive [Vagrant]
Recommended Tracks: "Constructive Summer," "Sequestered In Memphis," "Stay Positive," "Joke About Jamaica," "Slapped Actress."
Photobucket

13 comments:

PeachPlumPear said...

predictably excellent. This and the dan le sac vs scroobius pip album "angles" are easily the best things out this year so far.

ArcadeFire said...

this may be their best yet.

anna, do you have a last.fm account? you should make a pop apocalypse group

Anna Apocalypse said...

Hey Arcadefire,

I'm on last.fm and I'd actually been thinking of starting a group for awhile and decided to do so tonight on your request. Here's the link: http://www.last.fm/group/Pop+Apocalypse

-Anna.

Anonymous said...

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am in heaven. Hands down, this is sooo amazing.

NCS said...

I actually saw The Hold Steady while I was in school at Syracuse last year (Ra Ra Riot opened for them - I had classes with those guys, they're huge arrogant hipster jerks, believe me). However, since the show was on school grounds, alcohol was not permitted (I don't drink, but obviously the band does).

The show was only 5 bucks, so I was crazy excited. But it just seemed like the band was half-assing it, probably due to the lack of booze. So, regardless of them being one of my favorite bands, I left halfway through due to the sheer mediocrity of it. At least I got to hang out with one of my math professors who was there too.

Anonymous said...

i enjoy the red

blob bladewig said...

Hey Anna,
I love the new colors.

Anonymous said...

Great Album!!!!!!!!!!! What a surprise.

Jake said...

"Magazines" has a mind exploding chorus. What a great tune. Great album. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

hey anna -

i think this link is dead. could you re-up it, pretty please?

thanks,

320.

Anna Apocalypse said...

320raider,

I just tried it and it's still working for me. Try it again and see what happens.

Thanks,
Anna

FIRONLINE said...

So that blogger just said she wished PA had a last fm... and Anna obliged.

Man, I wish Anna would just, like, write me a check for a thousand, no a million dollars, and mail it to 10 Deerwood Lane, Orleans, MA.
...
...
...
*waiting*