Monday, February 09, 2009

The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart

I tried to ignore their hype for a solid several months, solely based on the stupid reason that I couldn't stand the band name The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart. I still can't stand it, but they could call themselves anything at this point, and I'd still be eating up these romanticized, treble-happy pop songs with a big smile on my face. Jump aboard the hype train with me, kids, because this album really is as good as everyone on the internet says it is. Take the male-female vocal interplay of Yo La Tengo, add some My Bloody Valentine noise, and a dash of strong pop sensibility, and you're somewhere in the neighborhood of this New York four-piece. Each track sounds better than the last on this fantastic self-titled debut, and if I could go overboard and recommend every song down below, I sincerely would. Take my word for it and download this album as soon as possible. And go see them at Schubas this Wednesday if you're in Chicago.

DOWNLOAD: The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart [Slumberland]
Recommended Tracks: "Contender," "Come Saturday," "Young Adult Friction," "Stay Alive," "Everything With You," "Gentle Sons."

6 comments:

csmooth24 said...

I was turned off by the name too, but I've been loving this record for the past couple of weeks. This is going to be a fun summertime record...

Andy said...

love, love, love this record.

question: do you have the new elvis perkins?

thanks in advance.

d said...

nice add to my dream/jangle category

how 'bout Stephen Lawrenson's latest?

aboriginal mice of paris said...

So, much has been leaking lately.

Swan Lake
Bat For Lashes
Black Lips
Black Dice

...I think maybe some others, too. I looking forward what you think about the first two in particular.

LP-DEVOTEE said...

One of the most amazing albums i've ever found! Thank you so much for posting this.


Sla'inte!
Drew

P.S. check out my blog page new blogs of music reviews i've written along with links to download albums.

Fake Concerns said...

thanks! this link actually made me order this on vinyl. thanks for loving good music.