Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Tobacco - Fucked Up Friends

Sometimes I sleep on great albums. Case in point: Tobacco's Fucked Up Friends, the new album from the bassist of Black Moth Super Rainbow. Although it was released on October 14th and I heard good things about it over the past few months, I somehow missed the boat. This is my attempt to remedy that mistake. Fucked Up Friends is sixteen tracks (and only thirty-eight minutes) worth of analog synths and fractured beats that are a bit darker than Black Moth Super Rainbow's psychedelic sound. Tobacco utilizes elements of hip-hop and experimental electro that result in an album that is so much more than instrumental background music. Listen carefully to the snap and clap shuffle of "Truck Sweat," or the videogame reminiscent "Side 8 (Big Gums Version)," or the awesome guest appearance from Aesop Rock on "Dirt." With a side project as inventive as this, I'd be surprised if Tobacco returned to his bandmates at all. Fucked Up Friends also fits perfectly into Anticon's catalog and I'd definitely recommend it to any fans of the label, or anyone that enjoys hypnotic and detached electronica.

DOWNLOAD: Link Removed Per Request [Anticon]
Recommended Tracks: "Truck Sweat," "Hairy Candy," "Dirt," "Backwoods Altar."

6 comments:

Oriol said...

Hey Ana, I've been a reader for quite a while and click your ads.

Check my blog out, if you're interested.

http://moneyfolder.blogspot.com

(I hope you're not offended I've posted some of your links, giving credit of course)

Unknown said...

hey Anna. Tobacco isn't the bassist for Black Moth, he's the lead singer/vocoder. Power Pill Fist is the bassist. Just lettin' you know.
lots of love,
-Ulysses Campbell

ryanluikens said...

best boards of canada since boards of canada. ketchup ketchup!

Anonymous said...

new a-bird leaked. BOO YA.

Anna Apocalypse said...

Zach,

Really? Wikipedia misled me then!


Connor,

I knooow! I'm all over that shit. About to listen right now omfg!

-Anna

Anonymous said...

it was a good listen! not as overproduced as armchairs, imo!