Sunday, September 07, 2008

TV On The Radio - Dear Science,

It's pretty much safe to say that every single TV On The Radio fan has been waiting with baited breath for the release of Dear Science,, the fourth full length and follow-up to 2006's Return To Cookie Mountain from the New York City quintet. Now that Dear Science, (yes, that comma is supposed to be there) has finally surfaced, the question remains: does it live up to all the hype? It took me about thirty seconds into opener, "Halfway Home," to answer that question with a resounding YES. Yes, yes, yes! Dear Science, takes the best elements from Cookie Mountain and expands upon them with doo-wop harmonies, lush textures, and driving guitars...and that's only the first track I'm talking about.

Elsewhere on the album, jazzy guitar fills brighten up "Crying," punk rock cries, claps, and horns drive "Dancing Choose," and a ballad even makes the cut with "Family Tree." Dear Science, is one of those albums where I have to restrain myself from recommending every single song, because they're all truly amazing. In a year when several popular indie bands have released disappointing new albums already, it's inspiring to hear TV On The Radio one-up themselves again and again. What more is there left to say? Dear Science, album of the year? I'm willing to bet money on it.

DOWNLOAD: TV On The Radio - Dear Science, [Interscope]
Recommended Tracks: "Halfway Home," "Dancing Choose," "Golden Age," "Family Tree," "Red Dress," "Shout Me Out."

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMAZING.

TVOTR did it again.

Thanks a bunch, Anna!

ArcadeFire said...

it's completely brilliant.

Yesiamaduck said...

As far as I can tell from the first couple of listens, this is not only NOT the album of the year but its not nearly as good as Cookie Mountain. It's a very good album, dont get me wrong but it's not as good as you make it out to be, sounds like hype driven delirium posting to me.

I can't say this is my final opinion as such though, and neither can you. You have stated 'THIS IS ALBUM OF THE YEAR' from an album you have been listening to for less then a full day.

It sounds more instant then Cookie Mountian but I just dont think it will have the staying powerand wont reveal its self in the beautiful ways cookie mountain did.

Anonymous said...

This album is alright. I've never been a big fan though.

Has the new I'm from Barcelona leaked yet?

Anonymous said...

this is absolutely the best album i have heard all year they are so fucking on from start to finish...DLZ is amazing

BP said...

brightblack morning light?

ArcadeFire said...

It's certainly more accessible then CM, but that's no reason to think it won't be as amazing 1 month, 1 year, or 10 years down the road.

Anonymous said...

I remember not thinking much of Cookie Mountain (or much about it, apparently), but this album really struck me on first listen. I'll go back to Cookie sometime later, but as I recall, that album was overhyped.

Anonymous said...

I won't download it, can't wait but I will buy the record as soon as available but thanks for the comments, I'm just more excited!!!!

Anonymous said...

album of the year? ill take that bet. for an album that has such funk and soul influences there is such little soul to it, the whole thing feels so... unfocused.

cookie mountain grew incredible well on me; however, i can only see myself caring less about this one. i like it, maybe a 7/10, but album of the year? let's not get too carried away.

Anonymous said...

Review it for me! :)

sam.c.mac
FIRONLINE

Anonymous said...

"hype driven delirium posting" brilliant! that is exactly what that was, Anna!

Anonymous said...

well, i won't conjecture into anna's psychological state when she posted this: whether or not she was delirious with hype at the time is only for her to determine.

one thing's clear though. hopefully this one's a grower, cause it sure ain't a shower.

i didn't like return to cookie mountain much either. the 1st ep was what was brilliant. and seeing them at the empty bottle on their 1st tour after the 1st ep came out was fabulous. then the 1st full-length just elaborated on what brilliance there was.

since then it's just been plain bland.

in other words: BORING.

Anonymous said...

coming from a pretty big TVOTR fan, I find this album completely messy and lacking. The songs feel rushed, and the album in general is just not memorable. Tracks 2-5 are just terrible, things get a little better afterwards, but Im hearing very average back beats and loose soul influenced spunk. They have gone from a prog-post rock band to Prince...

Tom Busler said...

TVOTR are one of the few "Indie Untouchable" bands that I just don't get. "Wolf Like Me" was a good track, but they don't do it for me. This won't be in my Top 50.

Anonymous said...

Dear Science, please tell mainstream radio to play the shit out of us, your friends, TVOTR

Anonymous said...

Man, I hope some of these jokers are eating their words, Anna, since this album DID turn out to be very acclaimed, as you rightfully predicted it would be. It's a gamble going with an early impression, but I think this gamble paid off in spades. Pretty much every critic has waxed on about how in love they are with this thing, and since we're both critics, who fueled the "hype" before there even was any hype, I'd say we (you, specifically) called this one right. And she wrote a great review too, read it:
www.musicinreviewonline.net

sam.c.mac
FIRONLINE