Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Deerhoof - Offend Maggie

Over the years, Deerhoof and I have had a loving relationship. During the first half of this decade, we were fast friends, bonding over such great albums as Reveille, Milk Man, and The Runners Four. But last year, with the release of their disappointing eighth album, Friend Opportunity, I found myself on the outs with the San Francisco quartet. It was rushed and not the experimental-loving Deerhoof that I had previously enjoyed in the past. Fortunately, their newest album, Offend Maggie, is a step back into familiar territory. Shorter track lengths and instrumental interludes recall the lengthy The Runners Four, as biting angular guitars and Satomi Matsuzaki's playful vocals hark back to the early years of Deerhoof. Overall though, Offend Maggie appears to be the most introspective album that Deerhoof has released. They utilize the addition of second guitarist, Ed Rodriguez, effectively by building layer upon layer of droning guitars (best heard on "Buck and Judy"), and also expand their musical palette quite a bit in the process (check out the beautiful guitar picking on the title track). Thanks to Offend Maggie, it seems that Deerhoof and I will be continuing with our relationship after all.

DOWNLOAD: Deerhoof - Offend Maggie [Kill Rock Stars]
Recommended Tracks: "Chandelier Searchlight," "Offend Maggie," "Basket Ball Get Your Groove Back," "Fresh Born," "Eaguru Guru."

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

dang grrl u iz on tawp of thannngz dis week!

xoxoxox always

Anonymous said...

Friend Opportunity is great, imo.

Anonymous said...

Friend Opportunity was disappointing and not experimental? What are you smoking?

Anonymous said...

Friend Opportunity is amazing, probably my favorite. You should give it another chance.

Anonymous said...

nice little piece of writing and a quality album, to boot. gracias.

Anonymous said...

Upgrade over Friend Opportunity.

I agree that FO was a disappointment.

"Fresh Born" is great.

Anonymous said...

friend opportunity is their pop album; it is very different from the others you named, so i can understand your stance on it.

Anonymous said...

It's no Runners Four but it's probably my second favourite now. FO used to be my 2nd favourite but that's what got me into them in the first place.

Anonymous said...

so i downloaded the album last night and it's asking me for a password ... what? you never have passwords on the albums you post, so i am confused.

and of course the link is now dead.

Anonymous said...

kill rock stars do not play.

Anonymous said...

At first this CD was not my thing. I thought her voice was a little kiddish and immature. As I listened to it more and more I slowly fell in love with it. It has a very free flowing and cheery atmosphere through most of the CD. It has turned into an album that I can't not listen to while driving!