What's with Saddle Creek and their new found love of Canada? First they sign Ontario's Tokyo Police Club and release their debut full length,
Elephant Shell, in April and now they've moved onto Montreal's Land Of Talk. Either way, it's a good decision on their part because Land Of Talk's no-frills indie sound fits in very well with the current Saddle Creek roster. On their debut album,
Some Are Lakes, singer Elizabeth Powell's punk rock past doesn't sound that far behind her, as cymbals crash and break over tensely-wound guitars that owe a great debt to Sonic Youth. According to the indie rock rumor mill, Powell is currently dating Justin Vernon of Bon Iver, but it doesn't seem like his "Skinny Love" is wearing off on her own band any time soon. With such song titles as "Yuppie Flu" and "Give Me Back My Heart Attack," it's safe to say that Powell is still a punk at heart. Musically-speaking though, Land Of Talk aren't about to bust out a Black Flag cover anytime soon, as their music is still very much subdued and brooding indie rock in its own right. Although they aren't doing anything quite that revolutionary, Land Of Talk excel at what it seems like they set out to do from the beginning, and one can only hope that their sound will become more adventurous with time.
DOWNLOAD:
Land of Talk - Some Are Lakes [
Saddle Creek]
Recommended Tracks: "Yuppie Flu," "The Man Who Breaks Things (Dark Shuffle)," "Give Me Back My Heart Attack," "Young Bridge," "Corner Phone."
12 comments:
Wow. I had no idea what I was getting into when I downloaded this CD. It's quite good.
the link is totally fucked.
see: DENALI
anyone first Ruby Suns album please.
also has the new I'm From Barcelona leaked.
After listening to some tracks on their MySpace, I downloaded this one. Sounds really good so far.
izzy is dating justin from bon iver, it's not a rumor. I met her outside of the show in vancouver, she got me into the sold out show for free (I didn't know who she was at the time). She's an amazingly down to earth woman and if anyone who is reading this gets a chance, go see her live. She puts on a great show and her vocals and guitar work are so amazing to see; she's very passionate on stage.
Can't wait to hear this, didn't even know it was coming out.
dear anna,
do you have apollo sunshine's shall noise upon? hmm?
Has the new Annuals leaked yet?
anna,
i just got hired at tiny mix tapes. do you write exclusively for the news section?
BP,
Yup, I write for news. What section did you get hired for?
-Anna
New Ray LaMontagne?
i got hired for general music reviews
Post a Comment