When I first heard that Peter Bjorn & John were planning to follow-up their hit album,
Writer's Block, with an instrumental album, I was a bit confused. Maybe they should have just named it Lyric's Block instead of
Seaside Rock, but I digress.
Seaside Rock isn't as bad as I thought it would be actually. Although I miss Peter's vocals and PB&J's romanticized lyrics,
Seaside Rock has a nice groove to it. It's fresh sounding, with bold guitar solos and bright percussion, best heard in opener, "Inland Empire." It's actually very apt that the trio named the album
Seaside Rock, because the entire album sounds like it was recorded on the beach of a tropical island, due to its warm textures, lackadaisical percussion, and Caribbean-influenced guitars. It definitely doesn't sound like it was recorded in their hometown of Stockholm, that's for sure. Elsewhere on the album, horns add color to the excellent, "School of Kraut," a slinky guitar riff and steel drums turn "Say Something (Mukiya)" into an island jam, and seagull sounds and spoken word bits on " Norrlands Riviera" set the theme for the rest of the album. In addition to the wonderfully upbeat and optimistic tone of
Seaside Rock, PB&J also released this album the right way--as a digital and vinyl release only. It's the wave of the future, kids, and it's certainly nice to see bands as big as PB&J embracing that.
DOWNLOAD:
Peter Bjorn & John - Seaside Rock [
Almost Gold/
Startime International]
Recommended Tracks: "Inland Empire," "Next Stop Bjursele," "School of Kraut," "At The Seaside."
11 comments:
Oh, it leaked! Thanks for the review, Anna! Can't wait to listen to this!
kinda disappointed with it.
thanks Anna, you always post on your blog album I've been waiting for a long time. PB&J don't make an exception. Let's see if this record is bad or not, I'll tell you.
reaaaaally enjoying.
I like this. Thanks, Anna.
Any word on The Streets, Ben Folds, Kings of Leon, or Cold War Kids?
(Sorry I've been silent for a while. Final push of law school has really amped up.)
None of them have leaked yet, except for Kings of Leon:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I4SUYSP9
new tv on the radio is pretty great
How's about a link to that TV on the Radio?
agreed with bp.
very good album.
anna you're so wonderful
i hope all is going well in your life
xoxoxo
just listened to it, very nice record.
Post a Comment