Saturday, September 20, 2008

Cold War Kids - Loyalty to Loyalty

Note: This is the retail version, not a web-rip.

I first heard of Cold War Kids in the spring of 2006, back before the blog buzz really caught up with the Long Beach quartet. They were opening for Two Gallants and they pretty much stole the show from them. Since then, I've dutifully followed their career, seen them several more times, and even interviewed them back in college. I was more than excited to hear Loyalty to Loyalty, their sophomore follow-up to 2006's Robbers and Cowards. Many critics seem to have a problem with Cold War Kids, calling them out for preaching in their lyrics. But honestly, anyone that thinks CWK are a religious band, hasn't taken the time to really listen to them.

On Loyalty To Loyalty, they curb the attitude from Robbers and Cowards and turn the music down a notch. Unfortunately, the first few tracks suffer from this and really fail to grab the listeners attention at all. It was CWK's creative swagger that made them sound so innovative in 2006, but without it, they're simply another indie band complaining about something. Still, not all hope is lost on this album, as things kick into high gear a bit later with the one-two punch of lead single, "Something Is Not Right With Me," and then "Welcome To The Occupation," both containing that in-your-face bluesy attitude that CWK is known for. From that point though, the album falls apart for a bit ("Avalanche in B" is like listening to nails on a chalkboard), and it's clear that all the slowed down duds are CWK's attempt at sounding more "mature" and trying to step up their songwriting skills to prove that they're more than a blog band. I wanted to like this album, I really did, but when more than half of it fails to capture my attention, it's impossible to ignore evidence that strong.

DOWNLOAD: Cold War Kids - Loyalty to Loyalty [Downtown]
Recommended Tracks: "Something Is Not Right With Me," "Welcome To The Occupation," "Dreams Old Men Dream," "Relief."

5 comments:

blob bladewig said...

agreed on all accounts. I fell in love with CWK when I saw them open for Tapes 'N Tapes two years ago. Those first two EPs were awesome. The album was pretty darn good - and this is a step below that. While their live show is always great, I'm hoping they step it up a bit in their songwriting future.

Anonymous said...

Anna, I don't understand your review. First you say you were excited about the album and that it does not disappoint and then you go on to bash it.

Anyhoo, I found much of this album to be extremely disagreeable. Very disappointing.

Anonymous said...

I really like it. Saw these guys in Dallas a year and a half ago or so, and it was awesome.

Not disappointed at all with this album.

Shakely

Anonymous said...

I could hardly stand listening to most of the tracks on this album.

Jeff Starr said...

I actually kind of liked this album as compared to the last
thx for the post

http://thequintessentiallifeexperience.blogspot.com/