Monday, October 12, 2009

Various Artists - The Twilight Saga: New Moon OST

When I first heard that Death Cab For Cutie were going to be on the next Twilight movie soundtrack, I was like "Okay no big deal, Ben Gibbard basically has the emotional range of a teenage girl." But then reports started coming in that Grizzly Bear and Bon Iver and fucking Thom Yorke were all contributing new songs to the soundtrack of the most ridiculous teen movie of the moment. As much as it killed me to upload a photo of the cover "art" and download the album, I couldn't resist hearing the unreleased songs by some of my favorite bands. Thankfully, most of the tracks on here were worth my embarrassment. Thom Yorke's blippy "Hearing Damage" could fit perfectly in with his 2006 solo album, The Eraser, Lykke Li's haunting "Possiblity" would sound great on her next album, or scoring some teenage vampire sex scene, and St. Vincent and Justin Vernon of Bon Iver sound delightfully creepy on their stripped down duet. Besides the heavy hitter bands that we all know and love, there are also some excellent undiscovered talents on this soundtrack, like the pop crunch of Band of Skulls and the woozy melodies of Hurricane Bells. I'm cringing as I type this but, if you like any of the bands I've recommended below, this soundtrack is definitely worth a download.

DOWNLOAD: Various Artists - Twilight New Moon OST [Chop Shop/Atlantic]
Recommended Tracks: Band of Skulls - "Friends," Thom Yorke - "Hearing Damage," Bon Iver & St. Vincent - "Roslyn," Hurricane Bells - "Monsters," Sea Wolf - "The Violet Hour," Grizzly Bear - "Slow Life."

3 comments:

Johnny Darrell said...

As the uncle of three tween-age girls, I had the misfortune of "watching" the terrible Twilight movie. I was at the cabin and there was nowhere for me to go so I read a magazine while they watched it. Occasionally, something in the soundtrack would catch my attention and I'd look up to see some shit. But the soundtrack was actually not too bad (and the cinematography too for that matter). The story, the idea, the direction: terrible.

I ended up getting the Twilight score soundtrack (By Carter Burwell) and enjoy it. I played it the other day at work and a colleague who loves his TRUE horror films asked what was playing and I had to admit aloud what it was in front of some peers.

KJK said...

that's pretty dramatic dude

d said...

it was a terrible movie.