Sunday, October 11, 2009

Spiral Stairs - The Real Feel

I know, I know, long time no update. Moving to a new apartment took a lot out of me. I'm ready to start this week off on a good note though, with the new solo album from Spiral Stairs, The Real Feel. As most of you probably know, Spiral Stairs is better known as Scott Kannberg, aka the guitarist of Pavement. Kannberg is no stranger to solo projects, as he's released a few albums under the name Preston School of Industry (although they've been inactive for the past five years). The Real Feel is a bit more rocking than PSOI though, trading in the slide guitars for feedback and squealing riffs ("True Love," "Stolen Pills"). Still, Spiral Stairs isn't completely devoid of mellow moments, as evidenced by the soft alt-country melodies on "Call The Ceasefire" and "Cold Change." Ultimately, I think I prefer the twang of PSOI to The Real Feel, but to each their own. Either way, Kannberg is a talented songwriter that can do a whole lot more than just back up Stephen Malkmus.

DOWNLOAD: Spiral Stairs - The Real Feel [Matador]
Recommended Tracks: "True Love," "Subiaco Shuffle," "Maltese T," "Stolen Pills."

No comments: