Monday, September 07, 2009

The Mountain Goats - The Life Of The World To Come

I was a bit skeptical when I saw the tracklisting for The Mountain Goats' new album, The Life Of The World To Come, and how each song title referenced a bible verse. Especially since I haven't really felt connected to John Darnielle's work since 2006's Get Lonely. Fortunately the rousing guitars of "Psalms 40:2" and Darnielle's dramatic vocals really bring the album to life starting with track two. From that point, the folky indie-pop of "Genesis 3:23" is reminiscent of older Mountain Goats albums, the upbeat melodies of "Romans 10:9" is Darnielle at his most charming, and "Isaiah 45:23" is just great folk music, plain and simple. I wouldn't say this is a definitive Mountain Goats album, but it's certainly not their worst. If you're a fan, you'll still find something to enjoy about it.

DOWNLOAD: The Mountain Goats - The Life Of The World To Come [4AD]
Recommended Tracks: "Psalms 40:2," "Genesis 3:23," "Romans 10:9," "Isaiah 45:23."

No comments: