I thought Monsters of Folk would be a sure thing. How could it not be when it's a supergroup with three of my favorite singer/songwriters (Jim James, Conor Oberst, and M. Ward) and Oberst's right hand man (Mike Mogis)? Well, clearly, something went wrong along the way, because this self-titled debut does not live up to the hype, instead it tiptoes around it. The blippy opening track ("Dear God (Sincerely M.O.F.)") sounds more like a boy band single than a song written by four talented folk songwriters with its falsetto chorus and pensive "What is G-O-D all about, y'all?" lyrics. Even the best songs on this record aren't too memorable, sounding more like b-sides from their respective MOF contributer than a well thought-out collaborative effort that started five years ago (seriously, they've been working on this since 2004 and this is what we get). I'm not angry; I'd just rather listen to My Morning Jacket, Bright Eyes, and M. Ward's solo albums than get involved much further with this mess of a collaboration that wishes it was a Traveling Wilburys record.
DOWNLOAD:
Monsters of Folk - Monsters of Folk [
Rough Trade]
Recommended Tracks: "Say Please," "Temazcal," "Baby Boomer," "Slow Down Jo," "Sandman, the Brakeman and Me."
3 comments:
burn
I listened once and had a similar take on it. I'll give it a few more chances to try and come close to comparing with the worst MMJ, M. Ward, Conor and Bright Eyes output.
I actually like a few of the tracks, but you're right, it will ALWAYS be rare to see projects with too many stars become successful. The components will always sort of be in competition with each other. Kind of like a movie with too many stars (10-20). Always kinda gets muddied and bland.
Post a Comment