Sunday, April 25, 2010

The National - High Violet

It's taken me awhile to listen to The National's newest album, High Violet, due out on May 10th, mostly because I'm such a huge fan of them that I was worried I wouldn't like their album as much as I enjoy their previous ones. I can see now that those anxieties were uncalled for, because The National could not make a bad album if they tried. Drawing on more melancholic lyrics than they ever have in the past, singer Matt Berninger uses his powerful baritone to bring to life lyrics about lost love, singing "I don't want anybody else" on "Anyone's Ghost" and "I don't want to get over you" on "Sorrow." The music itself seems darker as well, with a ghostly choir highlighting the anguish of "Afraid Of Everyone," and the fuzzed out guitars of "Terrible Love" marking bold new (and angrier) territory for The National. Unlike the more stripped down sound of 2007's Boxer, High Violet also steps up The National's love of orchestral flourishes and subtle horns, combining both elements together wonderfully, especially in a song like "Bloodbuzz Ohio." While it's hard to say if High Violet is The National's best album to date (it might take a handful of listens for me to get to that point) it's clearly a step in the right direction for the band and a wonderful new addition to their discography.

DOWNLOAD: The National - High Violet [4AD]
Recommended Tracks: "Terrible Love," "Little Faith," "Afraid Of Everyone," "Bloodbuzz Ohio," "Conversation 16."

6 comments:

Jeffrey said...

I got it at the start of the weekend and I'm really enjoying it so far. Especially Bloodbuzz Ohio, it's really quite spectacular.

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan, for sure.

willisplummer said...

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Mahkah said...

I can't shake the feeling that their albums have been going downhill since Alligator (while still being pretty good). Maybe its just the first listen, but the only song I've gotten into so far is Vanderlyle Crybaby.

Moonbeams and Kumquats said...

Thanks! Can't wait to listen...

John McCartney said...

love it! thanks so much!