Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sleigh Bells - Treats

When M.I.A. deems your band worthy enough to release on her own record label, you pretty much have it made. It also helps, though, if your band is actually talented. In the case of Sleigh Bells, a new project from Derek Miller (yes, formally of Poison The Well) and Alexis Krauss, the talent is pretty hard to ignore. The duo have all the makings of a cliche (noise-pop! Brooklyn!), but unlike a lot of flash-in-the-pan acts, Miller and Krauss both have musical backgrounds that stretch well beyond the musical trend of the moment. Utilizing Miller's post-hardcore roots and Krauss' pop-group beginnings, the duo have crafted a sonic experiment that truly defies genre labels. On opening track, "Tell 'Em," white-hot guitars spit fire and repetitive beats pummel, all while Krauss sings sweetly in her breathy voice. It's a mind-boggling musical mix-up, but somehow, it completely works. If you're still on the lookout for this summer's best dance party album, your search is officially over--well, at least until M.I.A. releases her new album in July, that is. Still, there is a reason she signed Sleigh Bells to her label, and it only takes one listen to figure out why. Treats lives up to its name, because each track truly feels like a new musical gift, exploring and turning multiple genres on their head. Sleigh Bells live up to the hype and missing out on this album is not something I would recommend.

DOWNLOAD: Sleigh Bells - Treats [N.E.E.T.]
Recommended Tracks: "Tell 'Em," "Kids," "Infinity Guitars," "Rill Rill," "Crown On The Ground," "A/B Machines."

5 comments:

Kevin H. said...

is this a "clean" version of the album. it appears so after put it into itunes. just curious. thanks for the post!

Questhate said...

The "clean" version is the real version of the album (there is no "dirty" version as there isn't any cursing).

Kyle Sparks said...

I, um, disagree, sry

http://popcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2010/05/sleigh-bells-treats.html

Anonymous said...

this is amazing.
I haven't been able to find a band that I want to play over and over again until I play them out...
But I think I just did.
THANK YOU

Tim J said...

Awww snap, Pop Apocalypse Vs. Pop Curmudgeon....round one goes to....Anna! Woot!