Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Jeremy Enigk - OK Bear

I haven't been the biggest fan of Jeremy Enigk's solo work (although I love Sunny Day Real Estate to death). When I heard that his fifth solo release, OK Bear, was supposed to be reminiscent of SDRE with a more stripped-down rock sound (as opposed to his previous orchestral-heavy albums), I figured I'd give him another shot. While it's certainly no Diary, OK Bear isn't half bad. Fuzzy guitars drench "Late of Camera" in a shoegaze swell, handclaps mix comfortably with chiming chords on "State of Mind," and the unexpectant horn section will get your head nodding on "Sandwich Time." Overall, OK Bear won't change your life, but it's definitely worth a download for any fans of Enigk's solo work. Come on, he titled a song "Sandwich Time," that alone should make you want to download this album.

DOWNLOAD: Jeremy Enigk - OK Bear [Lewis Hollow]
Recommended Tracks: "Late of Camera," "Life's Too Short," "Sandwich Time," "Restart."

No comments: